Fixing cs501 handle

Started by isurus, January 27, 2014, 09:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isurus

Hi all,

The handle on my purple cs501 was broken on my last trip of the 2013 season and I am hoping to repair it.  It seems as though the rivet that holds the handle to the arm broke (pretty sure it was kicked while in a gunnel rod holder; pic attached).

Anyone know if I can have this handle re-riveted to the arm?  I contacted Randy from Pro Gear a while back and he said that it was fixable, however, I haven't been able to get a hold of him since then.  

Getting a new purple handle will likely be difficult (if not impossible) and I am hoping to keep the reel stock (i.e. not yet sold on using a different handle).

Thanks in advance.
-Jeff

Shark Hunter

What size is the hole? Alan has some really nice handles.
Life is Good!

isurus

I don't have a caliper so I don't know exactly, but it looks like 5mm.

Thing is, I'd like to keep the purple handle.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

isurus

Still searching for any input!  Thanks!

Alto Mare

Show some more pictures so we could see how it's put together . show a shot of the side and one of the top. OI don't see why you couldn't fix it, you might need a new handle shaft.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Can you tap it and put a button head screw in to hold it?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

isurus

A new handle shaft would definitely be in order.  Any idea where I might find one that fits? 

The shaft is 2 1/8" long (about 550 mm) with a diameter of 1/4" (about 60 mm).  The diameter of the end of the shaft that fits into the handle grip (left-hand side in picture) is 5/16" (approx 80 mm). The diameter of the hole that fits through the handle is 3/16" (about 5 mm).

Here is a pic of everything separated.  The right-hand side of the shaft is the side that broke (and the side that fits into the handle arm). 

I might be able to drill into the solid shaft and cap it with a screw, but that seems tricky.

Thanks.

alantani

i tried a couple of these and gave up.  i tried to drill out the shaft, tap it and then screw it back together.  it never did hold.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

isurus

Quote from: alantani on February 17, 2014, 09:06:13 PM
i tried a couple of these and gave up.  i tried to drill out the shaft, tap it and then screw it back together.  it never did hold.   :-\

Thanks for the info, Alan.

Out of curiosity, what was your solution?  New handle? 

I might have to try to contact Randy again.

Thanks.

Alto Mare

Alan, one of your shaft might do the trick. He will need to do a little work, but I believe it will do the job.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i just used my own handle grip.  i even have some of the original progear classic series grips in a ziplock somewhere.  they all have drilled out spindles. 

isurus

Thanks for that. 

Ideally, I'd like to keep the original purple handle grip, so I guess I will have to search for a shaft that works.  If I can't find one, I guess I will be contacting you regarding the handle grips that you've used.

Shark Hunter

I know you had your heart set on keeping that purple handle. but Look at this Keta Kranker! This is Lee's stainless arm and Alan's handle. This is what you need. ;)
Life is Good!

alantani

i found a spindle that might work.  if i can get your address, i will send it out.  it's from an older progear grip that i took apart.  send me a pm.