Shimano Talica single VS two speed ?

Started by Drisse, January 28, 2014, 03:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

Hi !

I have a Shimano Talica 8 II and I'm very satisfied with the reel. Have in mind to buy a Talica 10, just so I can get on some more braid. Now to the question.... The two speed reels doesn't have any roller clutch bearing, just two silent pawls. On the single speed schematic there's only one pawl and it looks like there's an roller clutch bearing. But if you compare both reels on Shimanos site it says that both reels have Silent Twin-Pawl Anti-Reverse System. Could this be right ?

If there's a roller clutch bearing I'm gonna buy another two speed reel. Weighs a little more, but I can stand that just to get rid of that weak spot (roller clutch bearing).

Drisse

Fast answer is appreciated, since I got an offer with a good price on each model.

conchydong

Quote from: Drisse on January 29, 2014, 12:48:01 AM
Fast answer is appreciated, since I got an offer with a good price on each model.

I have a 12 II and it only has the double dogs. IMO that is fine for bait fishing. If you want to use the reel for vertical (speed) jigging than some folks like having the "infinite" anti reverse, one way bearing to eliminate the little bit of back play when jigging.
As far as two speed or not, that depends on the target species and method of fishing. As a rule if you fish 40lb test or under, single speed is fine.

Drisse

Ok, thanks for the answer conchydong. Wonder if the single speed can be upgraded with another pawl like on the 2-speed ? That would be great :)

Drisse

Found pictures on both reels and its not possible.

Drisse

The reel is going to be used for bottom and pelagical cod and halibutfishing. Sometimes with heavy shads up to 730g. The braid is about 0,30 - 0,36mm. I think the single speed will fix it with its roller clutch bearing and springloaded dog. But I always have bad feelings about roller clutch bearings :)

jonathan.han

The majority of lever drag reels aside from Accurate do not use clutch bearings. The weight of your jig/sinker will have very little negative effect on any AR system when compared to a snag or repetitive hookups.
raw instinct

Drisse

I ordered the 2-speed reel. Then I think I've made my best to get rid of weak spots in the reel.