Saltist free spool lever jamming

Started by twangers, May 14, 2010, 06:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twangers

Hi Alan and co.
Im having a problem with my saltist 30th. The clutch lever is sticking and seems to need alot of force to move back into freespool it seems ok going the other way. Also it seems to be eaiser to put into freespool when i pull the spool back to me with my thumb and move the lever at the same time..Any quick fix for this problem?

Cheers Dave

alantani

the fix is probably not quick.  chances are the lever itself is jammed.  i'd recommend pulling the side plate and then pulling the lever assembly apart, do a quick clean and lube, and it should be fine after that.  can you let us know?  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

twangers

Quote from: alantani on May 14, 2010, 06:40:33 AM
the fix is probably not quick.  chances are the lever itself is jammed.  i'd recommend pulling the side plate and then pulling the lever assembly apart, do a quick clean and lube, and it should be fine after that.  can you let us know?  thanks!  alan

Thanks For the quick reply. Will strip it down tonite and let you know how it went.

PS is there anything else that can be done to these reels to beef them up besides the handle and drag upgrade. Any Saltiga parts fit in it?

Cheers Dave

alantani

a friend of mine is working on a spring for the dog. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

twangers

OK took the reel apart and you were correct. Big build up of salt. I have always taken the ratchet side apart but was always a little scared to do the handle side until following your instructions. Thanks heaps for the info Mate

falconer

Hey, Alan, Did you get my email message yestiddy about my Duracoated Saltist 30T?  I'm just about ready to send it down to you for reassembly by the masta' (or one of the guys in your posse).  I sent photos attached to the message.  Found a guy on an Aussie (NZ?) forum who made a pretty elegant little dog spring from a ball-point pen spring.  I was gonna' use some single-strand titanium leader wire for the same purpose.  I included a link to his tutorial in the message to you.

Doug