Daiwa hrf

Started by snagz, January 29, 2014, 10:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snagz

Hi guys,

I just have a quick query

I recently serviced a daiwa hrf bait cast reel for a guy
The service went well and the reel performed great during the after service testing, but when it was fished, the reel would fail to re-engage after every few casts.
I didnt notice any problems during the servicing

Has anyone experienced this before or have any suggestions?

Cheers

LTM

Snagz,

That Daiwa model is not familiar to me in the US and I like Daiwa reels. Please add more info and maybe a picture of the reel.

Leo

snagz

Hi leo

It may just be an australian release, not entirely sure.
Very similar to the sol
http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/store/product.asp?ID=4021

Let me know of this app works

Xavier

snagz

LTM

Dr Xavier (aka in X-Men),

Ive experienced similar situation in similar style reel before (Daiwa, Shimano cant remember now), however it was a racheting sound (gears attempting to engage) when the star drag was backed almost completely off (need some tension). Forgot what I did to remedy it. The picture was a big help in that its similar to a Daiwa Fuego and similar reels. Hope someone helps out before my memory returns.

Leo

jonathan.han

See if the washer you placed between the main gear and AR ratchet is too thin. Go to one a bit thicker instead as the pressure on the drag stack may have compressed the one that was placed during the service. The Shimano Calcuttas and many other baitcasters can run into this problem of the freespool engagement kick lever contacting the main gear due to a decrease in clearance due to a thinner drag washer under the main gear. Putting a thicker washer may increase the drag when the star is backed all the way off, but nobody fishes with no drag pressure. As long as minimum drag is available, you're good to go. Hope that helps.

If not, inspect the kick lever assembly itself along with the AR ratchet for adequate engagement to disengage freespool.
raw instinct

snagz

Hi guys,

Got it sorted. Took the kick lever, spring etc and cleaned out all the grease. Looked like a bit too much was applied and was slightly restricting the action.
Reassembled and greased it very very lightly.
The reel now performs flawlessly, which makes me happy
Engaged and disengaged hundreds of times whilst watching duck dynasty to confirm, perfect function at any drag setting, with no problems reengaging the reel by turning the handle

Cheers all for the suggestions and helpful info.

Xavier