Battle Weary 12/0

Started by Shark Hunter, February 01, 2014, 02:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Look at this old 12/0. I have never seen a spool where the chrome is completely gone, but it is not pitted. The handle and sleeve are extremely sloppy.
It has amazing free spool, It just sounds like a motorcycle when you crank it! :o
I was going to have Jamie powder coat the spool, The more I think about it, I think I'm just going to double dog it, shim the sleeve, put a Keta Krank on it and Fish it! 8) I'm only in it for a Benjamin so far.
We will se what awaits me inside this old Soldier!

Life is Good!

floating doc

It has some life left in it yet. Go for it!
Central Florida

Irish Jigger

Have you considered having it re-chromed?

Chris Gatorfan

Alright Daron I want the name and address of your reel acquasition man. Rough or not you cant beat 100 for a 12/0.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Shark Hunter

Its called ebay brother. ;) In the right place at the right time. 8)
Life is Good!

erikpowell

Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 01, 2014, 07:54:13 PM
Have you considered having it re-chromed?

I had a friend who worked at a chrome shop in Erlanger a few years back. They re-chromed bumpers & custom harley parts.

saltydog

Great find and for the price it looks pretty good I have seen some on fleabay lately for a lot more in worse condition.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

This is going to be a budget build. The least money for the most Bang! The spool is perfect other than not having any chrome left. I'm going to hit it with 1000 grit and polish it with car wax. Its going to be a sleeper! ;)
Life is Good!

saltydog

That is a sleeper alright I bet the sharks won't feel the difference.
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

Its not as bad as I expected. I have seen worse in these old reels.
I shimmed the sleeve and went to work on the plate for the double dog.
Made a custom 7 stack from Eric's .120 sheet. The gears are worn, but I think they have a lot of life left.
I am keeping with the budget build theme, Its tough, but this reel will still be just as good, just not that pretty. I just polished the spool with Mothers wheel polish. Its nice and smooth, just ugly. :P
Money!
Life is Good!

saltydog

Put some line on it and give em hell.
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

I intend to William, I just need a clamp. ;D
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

I know this spool isn't the one, but one of these days I'd like to see someone industrial hard chrome a spool. I don't have anything bigger than a 114HLW, and I think an aluminum spool would be less than the price of chroming a brass one. But the larger reels might make economical sense.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dynamo

I'd advise doing something with that spool, the bare brass corrodes pretty easily.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dynamo on February 03, 2014, 05:15:06 PM
I'd advise doing something with that spool, the bare brass corrodes pretty easily.
X2, clean it really good, take all the chrome off and keep it on the shelf ;).
This one would be money well spent:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/29L-116.aspx
if you place an order over $160, I believe you'll get that spool for a little over $50....can't beat that.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.