LEVEL WIND REELS?

Started by LTM, February 01, 2014, 07:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

maxpowers

Leo,

"planned limited life expectancy".  Let's take for example the Jigmaster which is about $60 new and a comparable Penn 309 for example.  That Penn Jigmaster will continue to function mostly well even if the owner does not take really good care of it.  By contrast that 309M will probably experience failure with neglect due to the nature of the worm gear, etc..  For basic fishing people will gravitate toward the level wind because it look nicer, beefier, and much easier to use,  A couple of seasons of fishing with minimal or no maintenance and the level wind is gone.  At this point the owner will take it to the shop and find out that it is about $40 to service and repair the reel.  He looked at the new 309M and buy it instead.  "Planned limited life expectancy"...  If he had purchase that Jigmaster it would still fish year after year with no problem and no repeat business for Penn.. ABU always had the level wind so we should even discuss it..Most bass gears have level wind because they aren't looking to cast no more than 30-40 yards max but need to have even line lay due to the limited spool capacity.

As to why I preferred non level wind, I want the least amount of parts in my reel as possible and still give me the performance I am expecting.

Mike

LTM

Mike,

Planned reel service via more moving parts is a moot point addressed in my original statement. However you may have addressed the reason for the level wind mechanism in its intended application (for small reels). Since we havent received any "defacto" info as to why it exiists, the most logical statement so far is your statement:
"Most bass gears have level wind because they aren't looking to cast no more than 30-40 yards max but need to have even line lay due to the limited spool capacity."

The need for even line lay due to the nature of bass fishing's constant casting sounds like the primary drive for the level wind. It was also mentioned that one doesnt have to focus on laying line on the reel while concentrating on presenting the lure, watching conditions and environment as bass fishermen are constantly doing. Oh well, thought someone knew the defacto answer. Maybe one day I'll get the defacto answer; so I'll stop for now. I have a questioning/examining/exploring nature and setteling on "because it is" is as unsetteling as "SUPERSTITION" is to me along with "BLIND FAITH". i will eventually need/seek the real answer!!

Thanx for your assistance,

Leo