LEVEL WIND REELS?

Started by LTM, February 01, 2014, 07:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Folks,

My question is not regarding your PERSONAL PREFERENCE, OR WHICH CAST FARTHER (levelwind vs non-levelwind). Nor is my question regarding one being TOO LASY OR UNTRAINED TO USE YOUR THUMB (otherwise $300-500 bass reels wouldnt exist dont forget the little Penn Internationals). My question is not regarding the 3/0 AND LARGER LEVELWIND REELS (use of special line, ie wire, etc). So, please omit any comments regarding what I have previously stated. My question is:

Why do/did 99.9% of small conventional spool reels come configured as level wind reels?  Im aware of kits for Abus to remove this feature, thats not my point/question here? Half of my levelwinds have disengaging spools and levelwind guides which cast better than alot of my non-level wind reels that cast GREAT. Even my Abus out cast some of my GOOD casting conventionals, my Abu's cast great and dont have disengaging spools/line guides. My Calcutta CTE3000 is my worst casting levelwind and it casts good.

I also understand that spinners are level wind reals whose purpose is to precisely wind line back on the spools as effeciently as possible for casting and design reasons. I found myself asking myself after upgrading ALL my little levelwinds and quite pleased with their IMPROVED  performance: why dont you "bait fish" with these "bad little rascals" NOW?  ??? ??? ???  Heck, even the AR units in the Abus are getting upgraded this weekend. If the line guides will pass a 25# braid to mono connection, then they should be able to handle 20/25# on OCCASION (with out HARMINIG the reel) and they all will hold 250-300 yards of 30# braid. I digress here, but they would make great half-day open-party boat reels (minus jigging reel roles).  So, whats the reason for levelwind mechanisms on all small conventional reels??

Thanx,

Leo

Bryan Young

Based oh the size of the reel and the ability or inability to guide the line on those little reels was a major factor.

BTW, my favorite California coast rock cod reel is my Abu 6500C3 with 20# braid.  It's easy for me to cast a small 1/2 oz to 4 oz lure, and with SmoothDrag Carbontex drags, it's a reel that can stop most inner coastal fish.  Easy to clean and add a drop of lubricant if needed.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MFB

It's probably a supply & demand scenario, if people stopped buying them, manufacturers would stop making them. Also they probably easier for kids to use. Fishing with kids can require the patience of a saint, it's one less thing to worry about so you can concentrate on un tangling tangles, removing hooks from boat upholstery, baiting hooks, changing (lost) rigs & if your really lucky landing fish.
My nephew is turning 10 soon & I am thinking of getting him a shimano corvalus 400 combo for the all of the above reasons.

Rgds

Mark  
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

bluefish69

I started my son at 4Yr old with a Penn 9M
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

LTM

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 01, 2014, 08:23:38 PM
Based oh the size of the reel and the ability or inability to guide the line on those little reels was a major factor.

BTW, my favorite California coast rock cod reel is my Abu 6500C3 with 20# braid.  It's easy for me to cast a small 1/2 oz to 4 oz lure, and with SmoothDrag Carbontex drags, it's a reel that can stop most inner coastal fish.  Easy to clean and add a drop of lubricant if needed.

Yeah Bryan, I can see you likeing that size reel with the capacity that 20# braid tied straight to your lure. I have a 5500 and a 4600 that I was thinking of spooling with 30/20# braid respectively.  Ive changed handles and knobs on ALL of these little level wind reels (HUGE IMPROVEMENT), along with the other basics now and these little reels feel like "LITTLE BIG BOYS" and ready for some action. How realistically/daily heavy do you think one can fish these reel with proper maintenance and good drags/bearings?

Leo

Ron Jones

Bryan and Bluefish nailed it. It is the same reason Walmart can't keep Zebco spincasters in stock. Daddy buys little Timmy a rod and reel to take to the lake for the first and only time in his life about 1 BILLION GAZZILION times more often than someone spends a couple hundred on a sporting reel. Simple supply and demand. If you are using a conventional for the first time and have no idea what to do with it then a level wind helps.

I am with Bryan, about the only time I want a level wind is when you are on the rocks or in a boat up against the rocks when the swell or surf can make it that you need to concentrate on trying not to die just as much as you need to concentrate on fishing. That's why my Millionsaire 300-X still has a level wind.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bluefish69

Ron

That was only 1/2 the combo that I bought my Son. I also bought him a custom Lama Glass rod [7'] which he caught a 10 1/2# Fluke [Summer Flounder] & 11# Black Fish. He was about 9 YO when he got this present. Now he is 43 YO. So good things last for a long while if taken care of.

Mike

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

LTM

Not quite,

I get it, there easier. But $300-500 and still you need easier. Im sure you cast pretty well now that your paying this much, dont you? It must be something else, maybe?? I didnt hear Bryan state all the other stuff, but maybe implied???

Leo

Alto Mare

I'm not a fan of Levelwind reels, too many moving parts. However, I believe everyone should own at least one 9M, I have a couple and really like them.  Those require more frequent service when used with salt water... great little reels for fluke.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Mike,
I apologize if you felt I was including you in that statement. Obviously you will take your kid fishing more than once in his life. As to expensive levelwinds, I really don't get it. I assume some guys get used to levelwinds from the get go, stick with it and want to keep the feature when they upgrade. I think the low pros have them because it would seem difficult to use a low pro without one, that is based on my very limited exposure to the cursed things.

I really can't see a level wind out casting a non level wind assuming they were the same otherwise.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bluefish69

Ron

Not in the least. I have a thing about rack rods. In the 70's we fished every weekend till almost Christmas. In the 80's he helped on deck when I was doing that.

LTM

Please re-read original post. Too much deviation! WARNING, WARNING  :o :o Its not about out casting, more or less parts, kid friendly at $400/300/500...........etc. When I did some researched before asking here the topic was cut to shreds with everything not related to the specific topic that I posed. I just knew for sure our enligntened crew here wouldnt respond in the same manner.......................evidently NOT ??? ??? ???.   Oh well, lets just sweep it under the rug like the other forums before the Berimundi fishermen who love these reels get wind of this post. Berimundi fishermen and others who use this size and type of reel speak up or just accept the conventional wisdom that has been stated by others who stated that they really dont use them.

Me

Ron Jones

Sorry,
I've reread your question and marketing is still the best answer.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"