Squidder 146

Started by leo_gearhead, February 04, 2014, 02:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leo_gearhead

Hey guys, my name is Chris I've been sneeking around here for a while, and am new to the whole forum thing, but wanted to say thanks for sharing your know how! I have hard time leaving anything stock, form cars, bikes, boats, and now my fishing gear!!  I thought I would share one of my little projects inspired by you guys, I picked up a Squidder Jr 146 for too cheap, it already had a Tiburon frame, an Newell spool, and CF drags in the gear. So Alan kindly sent me a gear sleeve a CF washer for under the gear, I added a handle, bearings, a steel main gear and lapped it with pinion gear to smooth it up and then gave it the Alan-tuneup.  Hope the pictures come through.

alantani

glad everything worked out.  and welcome!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SacFly

Nice work!  That's a cool reel you have there.  I love squidders.

DaBigOno

Aloha Chris!

Welcome in, the little Penn 146 is a great place to start with.

thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing more of your hot-rodding skills.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

otghoyt

Hey Chris....

Where-id-ja get that stainless gear?

DaBigOno

Quote from: WOTHoyt on February 12, 2014, 09:33:32 AM
Hey Chris....

Where-id-ja get that stainless gear?

Ebay, search for Penn main gear

Might come up,with some steel gears, but not stainless
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

BMITCH

Leo, WELCOME! Nice reel. I like the handle. Thanks for sharing
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Fishit 2

I have a couple left hand retrieve 146's, I would like to order a stainless gear sleeve - is it the same part as RH or is there a LH as well?
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

otghoyt

Is that how you got yours....e-bay search for Penn main gear!  Seriously, have you ever done that?  Man....we're talkin plethora of gears or in other words a s-load of gears.  Penn/Scott doesn't specifically show them.  E-bone doesn't have them.  Been there, done that. Several times and with some really creative search titles.

Is there anything just a little bit more specific that you could suggest?  I mean I can feel myself getting older as I scroll through all the "Penn Main Gears on e-bay".  Been there, did that!   Could it be just the later versions of the Squidder like the 146L that got the steel gears and the numbers are still the same?

Help...........

otghoyt

leo_gearhead

Thanks guys, WOThoyt, it's just a steel gear than cleaned up nice.  if I understand correctly the older penns have these steel gears, newer ones have brass. The Squidder, and Surfmaster and some others have the 5-60 main gear.

I had some trouble finding this one, ebay is a good place to find them. I found some of these gears have a recess on the bottom of the gear, some have a raised step, and some are flat on the bottom of the gear?????? I do know not all of them work, maybe someone will have some insight on this.  I'll try to get some pics, it's easier to see than explain.

leo_gearhead

Here are some pics of the gears, the one on the right is raised about .020", the brass one is flat (it's the one out of my reel), and the one on the left is recessed. I wound up using the recessed gear. The raised seemed to put the pinion in a bind and chattered pretty bad, it also didn't let the pinion disengage all the way sometimes when in free spool. Maybe some one else has run into this before, any thoughts?

doradoben

I like Penn 146 very much. Did you use the Pinion gear that was already in your reel when you installed the steel main gear?

leo_gearhead

I tried a couple different pinions, even the one that matched the gear with raised step that came out of a surfmaster. Same problem...