Squidder 146

Started by leo_gearhead, February 04, 2014, 02:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doradoben

The main gear 5-60 is the same in both a Squidder and a Surfmaster. It works in some other Penns as well.  The Squidder uses pinion gear 13-140 but the Surfmaster has a 13-200 pinion gear. So, you can only use the main gear from any of these other reels. Even if you have the matching pinion from the donor reel, it might be the wrong part to work in your Squidder..

otghoyt

Why do you think that it works out that way?  The main from another reel will work in the Squidder but the pinion from that same donor reel may not.  Is the center line of the pinion different on the Squidder vs. the other donor reel?  Ultimately, I would like to find another pinion with a couple more teeth that I can get to work with the 146 main.  Is there such a critter.

I stuck a 500 Jigmaster pinion in the works and although I didn't put the side plate back on the 146.....it did crank!  I am going to do it again and install the side plate with the spool in it and then see if it spins.  BUT there are the same amount of teeth on both pinions so no there's no net gain.  The retrieve on the 146 is just too slow.

Ron Jones

The pinions are different because the spools are different. He doesn't think it works that way, it works that way. The Squidder has bearings and it's spool shaft is longer in order to go through the bearings, the 13-140 Pinion is designed to accommodate the Squidder's long spool shaft. The Surfmaster has bushings and it's spool shaft is short, the 13-200 pinion is designed to support that. So, you can put the main gear of a Squidder in a surfmaster but not a pinion and vice versa. THis really doesn't matter to much because all the pinions are steel. So, you need to use the pinion from your reel and a steel 5-60 gear to have the strongest gear set.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: WOTHoyt on February 28, 2014, 03:32:46 AM
I would like to find another pinion with a couple more teeth that I can get to work with the 146 main.  Is there such a critter.

No!...that's a good thing, if they did exist they would last as long as the 13-505 :-\.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

doradoben

Noyb72 makes a very good point about differences in the spools. In reply #12 Leo tried several different pinions without luck and showed 3 different main gears. The donor gearset from a 200 surfmaster has the same main (5-60) but a different pinion (13-200) than his 146 squidder (13-140). There is a good chance that all 3 main gears in the photo would have worked if installed with the original pinion gear that was in the reel before the swap.

WOTHoyt, the 500 pinion gear will mesh with the 5-60 main gear. Brian's very nice Penn 259 narrow conversion uses this combination. I looked it up because I'd never seen one and didn't know what a 259 was. The gear spacing on the bridge may be different. Let us know how it works out..  

Alto Mare

Quote from: doradoben on March 01, 2014, 05:21:02 AM
Noyb72 makes a very good point about differences in the spools.

No, the 112h has a longer spool shaft and comes with bushings.
The 13-140, 13-200 and 13-500 have the same 12 teeth.
You could place the surfmaster's pinion in the squidder, but you couldn't place the squidder's in the surfmaster. Well , you could, but you would need to drill the bottom of the pinion a little so it could slide on the bushing.
There is no need to do so, it doesn't change anything, I'm just answering Ron's comment above.
Well it could come handy if you hand one of the 3 mentioned and weren't sure.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

otghoyt

Wow!  Whadda Pandora's box of gobble 'd goo.  After all that, I think the stock set-up is just fine.  Unless you have a water jet cutter and nothing better to do.  Where is buddy Carl when you need something Penn.

leo_gearhead

Hey guys just wanted to clarify, the trouble seems to be with the main gears, I used squidder pinions and still had the chatter and free spool problems. I tried a surfmaster pinion but noticed it had a larger ID for the spool that uses bushings. Only had trouble with the main gears that had a raised lip on the bottom, even ones  that were out of other squidders. Never really figured out why.... It's workin great now with the recessed gear in it