First time cleaning the bearings on an Abu Garcia 6500 CT

Started by Tgr23, February 05, 2014, 03:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tgr23

This is the first time I've rebuilt an Ambassador reel.  I want to clean and lubricate the loose, long bearings that are on the right side plate.  What is the best way to clean the old grease out of there and what should I lube it with?  It seems like Alan likes Corrosion X for an application like this.  Is that correct?  And do these bearings fall out?

Thanks in advance.
Travis

Bryan Young

We have been using TSI301 and love it.

Bearings should not fall out. If it does then it'll need replacing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Killerbug

Quote from: Tgr23 on February 05, 2014, 03:25:28 PM
This is the first time I've rebuilt an Ambassador reel.  I want to clean and lubricate the loose, long bearings that are on the right side plate.  What is the best way to clean the old grease out of there and what should I lube it with?  It seems like Alan likes Corrosion X for an application like this.  Is that correct?  And do these bearings fall out?

Thanks in advance.
Travis

I guess you mean the IAR bearing, on a right handled reel. 

Those bearings are made of a metal shell, a plastic coller, and several metal rollers. TSI301, is harmfull to plastics, so do NOT use it on IAR bearings.  Here CorrosionX, is a very god lube, as it protects against corrosion, and has a viscosity that are perfect for roller bearings.

The spool bearings, are another story. If casting performance matters to you, use the viscosity of the oil to control the speed of your bearings.  Thicker oils slows the speed of the bearings, and thinner oils etc..

If you use a thin oil, you have to oil more frequently.

Two other factors that influence your casting performance, are the adjustment of you casting brake, and elasticity of the line used.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time