Winding problem Boss BX-2 600

Started by O.C, February 05, 2014, 07:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O.C

Hi guys.
First off all I must say this is a great forum, have read a lot of reel rebuilds and had a lot of help from the guides. But now I have a problem with my reel, so I had to register and ask you guys for help.

It started last summer, after winding from big depths(500m) with 500g lead, when I was taking breaks in the winding some of the line and the handle spun back out, just a half rotation. But it got worse, later in the autumn the reel spun out more rotations for a while, until it finally had no reverse brake left. Now I can reel both ways with maximum break on. Have studied a blowout drawing from accurates pages, but can't find the anti reverse mechanism. Have opened the reel a couple of times but can't seem to find anything that looks wrong.
So please help me to fix my reel, if anybody have heard or knows a typical reason for this it would help me a lot. If not maybe some of you could guide me to the right places to check.

Excuse my english, I'm Norwegian and not so familiar with all the right words for the reel. If u don't understand I'll try to explain better.

Adds a link to the blowout drawing.
http://www.accuratefishing.com/pdfs/bx2.ipb.pdf

Frank

Hi OC,

It sounds like your reel has anti reverse bearings that needs to be replaced. No. 4, S-3908 on your blowout.

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Bryan Young

Wecome O.C. and your English is perfect.

As Frank said, the anti-reverse bearing needs to be replaced.  There are two of them.  I think they cost US$35 plus shipping each.  They are also pressed in and are not easily replaced.  You will need a press or vise where you can press out the old and press in the new bearing.  I have learned that, at least in a reel that I recently serviced, that the hight of the bearing on mine was not the same as the replacement part and had to press the outside bearing from the outside and the inside bearing from the inside, and there was a gap between the bearings in the side plate tube that held the bearings.  This was different than my past experiences with the replacement of those bearings.

Good luck. 
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

O.C

Thanks guys, I wasn't aware of the anti reverse bearings. Sounds like changing the bearings is a little bit more complicated then I first expected.. Would it be easier for me to send it to the U.S for a service? Or could this be done at my place with basic tools?

If service in the U.S is the easiest option, would you recommend some special to do it? And how much will this cost exept shipping?

Thanks again for the quick reply :)
O.C

Frank

You might want to contact Accurate by email and explain your problem. They have a repair/update option where they will upgrade your reel to a model with a dog system as well as the anti-reverse bearings. It's not cheap, somewhere between $125 and $150 US dollars, But you will end up with a more modern and reliable version of your reel.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Robert Janssen

There are several members of this site in Norway, some of whom are Accurate owners. I'm sure they'd be able to assist.

alantani

you may have to replace the anti-reverse roller bearings.  the process looks something like this. 

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5497.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

day0ne

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 05, 2014, 08:18:37 PM
Wecome O.C. and your English is perfect.

As Frank said, the anti-reverse bearing needs to be replaced.  There are two of them.  I think they cost US$35 plus shipping each.  They are also pressed in and are not easily replaced.  You will need a press or vise where you can press out the old and press in the new bearing.  I have learned that, at least in a reel that I recently serviced, that the hight of the bearing on mine was not the same as the replacement part and had to press the outside bearing from the outside and the inside bearing from the inside, and there was a gap between the bearings in the side plate tube that held the bearings.  This was different than my past experiences with the replacement of those bearings.

Good luck. 
Bryan

I believe the BX only has one IARB in it
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

ctran

I had the same problem with my 197. it even reversed on 3oz of weight. I decided to try the steps that Alan has mentioned here http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1632.0. The problem seems to be fixed when I just pull out line on the reel. But I havent had a chance to fully test it out on a fish yet. but when I put the drag up to where i usually fish it at and the problem was happening, it felt perfectly fine. May you would want to try that before sending it all the way over to Accurate. It might save you a few bucks and saving you the agony of parting with your reel. Cause i hate parting with my reels even if i know i wont be using them for awhile.