Where did all those washers come from?

Started by broadway, May 18, 2010, 09:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Do any of you experienced gentleman know why I keep finding an extra 1 or 2 washers in all the Penn 113h's that I've tinkered with.
I would say at least 7 or 8 of the reels had an extra metal keyed drag washer on top of the stack directly below the cupped drag tension washer.  Is this to get the precise fit for every reel on an individual basis?  Could it be :-\?  Thanks
Dom

akfish

Most 113Hs I work on have a much thicker top metal drag washer. Occasionally I see one with metal washers that are all the same thickness -- and with two washers on top. I'm sure it has no effect on the drag.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

broadway

I agree AK, it seems to not be effecting the drag, but was curious if there was a reason.  Maybe spares ;)  Thanks
Dom

Bryan Young

I concur with akfish.  The extra where are povided to ensure that when cranking down on the drag with the star, the star does not bottom out.  I had this problem when I went from a 3 carbon to a 5 carbon stack with thinner metal washers.  I had to use one of the old thick washers as I wasn't getting the drag I had expected since the star was bottoming out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

You know, I think I'm gonna have to crack open 3 of my own 113HSP's because I put those super thin smoothdrag (ground flat and polished) washers without a thick washer on top.  I'll have to test them first.  Can I test without a rod or should I use a rod. I hate putting my 20-40lb rods through that torture. I'm a striper fisherman who likes to overbuild and upgrade everything I can for that one great day the biggie comes along ::) and for cool factor+ I'm a tackle junkie.  Thanks for answering my question guys. When I first joined this site I thought Alan was gonna answer everything, but it's nice to see the A.T. Crew helping each other out...but it's really nice knowing Alan's not far away ;)  
Dom  

Bryan Young

Hey Dom,

Don't bother opening up the reels.  Just test the drags by pulling via a scale, mounted or unmounted.  If you are getting the drag you are seeking, then you are fine. If not, you may need to add another washer (used as a spacer). 

Note, I always set my drags with the reel mounted on the rod.  Different rods have different coeficient of drag from the line and guides, line angles at full drag setting, etc.

Also note that when your lines are wet, your drag will decrease slightly.  I haven't tested it yet so I don't know how much difference between unmounted vs. mounted vs. wet vs. dry.  In theory, there are affects, I just don't know how much.  I just set mine mounted and dry line.  Hope this helps.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Thanks Bryan,

I'll give them a test this weekend (unmounted first) to see if the drag is up to snuff.   Should we assume that if a reel came with an extra washer  it probably needs it, or i that not the case? Thanks
Dom

Bryan Young

Hi Dom,

If it had extra washers, then they probably needed it to meet the stack height of the drag washer assembly.

Bryan

alantani

yeah, i find them mixed up all the time.  there is enough room that it really doesn't matter.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway