Penn 155 Drag Creeping

Started by sundancer, February 06, 2014, 02:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundancer

Hi.

I have 3 Penn 155's from eBay that i can't wait to start using.

One was perfect.  I had to replace the Excentric Spring the 2nd and the last doesn't hold a drag setting.  It loosens up as the Handle is turned/Spool slips. 

I can't figure out how to fix this last one.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Steve
Virginia Beach
Miles to go.....,

alantani

i'll bet the metal drag washers are out of order.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

I've actually seen something that causes this. If the star is very loose and the drag is not tight then there is sometimes enough play to cause the star to back off. I think it is the force of the main gear /spacer pushing against it. To test this, grease up the threads on the sleeve above your preferred drag setting really well and see if that helps. If it does you either need a new star or a new sleeve. The other option is to fish with the drag compressed well.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

sundancer

Thanks Brian - i have been lurking here for a little while.  Thought it was time to join.

Alan,

I will tear it down and check. 

Noyb,

I discovered this 'behaviour' after spooling it up.  I started to tied the new line to the foot, tightened the drag, and started to turn the Handle to make sure it worked.  This is when i found the drag start to loosen.  The Star Drag didn't follow the Handle. 

PS
Is there anything to the Handle colors?  I have 2 Yellows, 1 Black, and 1 Red.

Thanks
Steve
Miles to go.....,

BMITCH

Welcome Steve. Sounds like what Alan said. Stack outta config.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

sundancer

K

Following the diagram, i redid the drag stack.  Seems to work now.  Just need to get a couple of dog springs (arghhh).

Thanks for your help.

Steve
Miles to go.....,

Dynamo

(Quote): "started to turn the Handle to make sure it worked.  This is when i found the drag start to loosen.  The Star Drag didn't follow the Handle."

I had this happen with my 12/0 a while back, I was missing some washers.

Lensters

Quote from: sundancer on February 06, 2014, 04:28:31 PM
K

Following the diagram, i redid the drag stack.  Seems to work now.  Just need to get a couple of dog springs (arghhh).

Thanks for your help.

Steve

MysticParts.com is pretty quick about getting parts out.  Just wondering what you are going to use these 155s for?

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Len
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

sundancer

Len,

Flounder, Striped Bass, Reds

I fish from a Jetski now.  I picked up a couple of 350's and rigged them a little heavier, a 113 4/0 even heavier possibly for Shark/AJ's, and 349 for who knows.

What are your thoughts?

Steve
Miles to go.....,

Lensters

I have a 155 here that was one of the first "spec reels" I refurbed.  She is a beauty to look at, smooth as silk and has a huge line capacity but I'm not sure the drag could turn around a decent sized crappie.  And I'm not one that thinks he needs 25lbs of drag either.  I change the drag washers to CF but I rarely do more than that.
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

sundancer

Lol.  Mine seem pretty good.  Being on a JetSki, I don't have the weight of a boat fighting the drag either.

Once the weather improves we'll see.. 

I was lucky.  All eBay purchases and most in great condition. 

The 2 350's I got are great looking.  Hope to try the spiral level wind soon.

S
Miles to go.....,