Avet Binding

Started by GotMojo, February 06, 2014, 05:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GotMojo

Hello,

I purchased an Avet LX 6/3 for my father in law as a gift and now I've got it back.  I took the reel in to Avet this afternoon and they serviced it while I waited.  Not being familiar with the reel I thought I'd put it through it's paces by setting the drag at 15lbs at strike and checking out the free spool. The free spool is fantastic, but with the drag at 15lbs at strike the handle is hard to turn and when it's at full it ridiculous. I believe it's referred to as binding.  This reel is advertised and rated to operate at 15lbs strike / 20lbs at full.  I can't imagine that what I'm experiencing is normal. I'd like to here from other Avet owners to see if there reels operate in the same manner.  I set my 12T up the same way and no problems what so ever.  I thought I'd primarily use 40#on it, maybe 50#

Thanks

alantani

for the plain avet jx and lx, i have found 15 pounds to be the limit because of side load.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

GotMojo

Bummer, my reel at 15lbs makes the handle too hard to crank. I'll fish 40# and set it at 12lbs at strike.  I've heard mention of some upgrades or mods that you do on these reels. Are there any for my model?

SoCalAngler

I fish my JX (same drags as the LX) as a 40lb test reel. I set my drag at 10lbs at strike that way if I want/need more drag I can move the lever just past strike which adds 2 more lbs of drag in my reel or pust it all the way up to full which makes the drag around 14lbs.

Check the other threads on this board as we (the members) are trying some stuff to try to increase the drag in these reels. But, as Alan stated 15lbs at strike is max for the LX and JX.

GotMojo

I like that idea.  What about the mods, any for our reels?

GotMojo

Wow my head is spinning after reading only part of the thread.  I'm still not sure if there are any mods/updates for my reel or not. There was a lot mentioned regarding the bearings going bad, but I didn't see a fix.  There was a fix for a Makaira 50, but not mine.