Penn 9500ss -vs- 950SST

Started by Elvira, February 06, 2014, 10:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvira

I have both of these reels and just changed the drag set up on the 9500 to the same style as the 950 ( drag washer on 9500 built into drag pressure plate ) my question is what is the difference between the two reels and is one more durable than the other ?

Thanks

johndtuttle

Quote from: Elvira on February 06, 2014, 10:28:00 PM
I have both of these reels and just changed the drag set up on the 9500 to the same style as the 950 ( drag washer on 9500 built into drag pressure plate ) my question is what is the difference between the two reels and is one more durable than the other ?

Thanks

Sorry Elvira, I missed this one and I know you've been waiting awhile for a reply. These are two seperate generations of similar reels with the 9500SS being the older Made in USA version and the 950 being the last in the long line of Penn Spinners still made here before they were moved offshore, I believe.

The reels have very different internal designs with an instant Anti-reverse bearing for example in the 950ssm and a mechanical ratchet dog system in the 9500SS, different gear materials etc etc.

If you look up the schematics at Pennreels.com or Mystic Reel Parts you will find detailed drawings and separate part numbers for nearly every part.

En regards to durability the older model actually uses higher quality parts in many areas and is a true classic, the 950ssm had the quality reduced to maintain its price in a competitive environment.

regards

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"