the beer can shim

Started by alantani, May 21, 2010, 04:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Quote from: chermin123Sifu, I have been following your reel rebuilds and servicing guides.  Nice...  Wonder if you can help. I overtightened the long screw that supports the line guide of my chronarch.  Because the reel body is made of plastic, the thread must have worn out and now the screw cannot tighten.  Any recommendations?  Screw thread rebuild substance from DIY shops?  Thanks for time. regards, Chermin123

thank you, i am honored!

the best answer is to replace that part.  a poor second choice would be something we have here in california called "red loctite."  it is a thread locker used in light industry.  a more available option might be plain 2-part epoxy adhesive.  neither one of these is a good choice. 

the final option might work depending on the amount of damage to the threads.  take a plain soda or beer can make of aluminum and cut a small strip that is as long and as wide as the threads of the screw, insert it into the screw hole and then carefully thread in the screw against the strip of aluminum.  it is something we call a "beer can shim" and it is a poor fix, but will often work well enough to hold things together until a more permanent fix can be worked out. 

please let me know how this works out.  thank you.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!