501 drag set up

Started by broschro, February 07, 2014, 02:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

I am building a narrow 501. it has the stock steel  4:1 gears in it and a nice red accurate frame. waiting on the stainless steel double dog bridge from Alan.what can I do to Hot Rod The drag set up?it has the three drag cf washers with cals in it right now with a cf Undergear drag washer. is this enough? I want to push this real to the max.

Alto Mare

You have two options, Bryan's 1+5 kit or Lee's octagon insert. Both are very close in performance, with Lee's you will only need 1+3stack. That reel will generate over 25lb of drag, fish it at around 20lb and you shouldn't have any problem. if you need more, use your Tank ;D. Just make sure you have all of the available upgrades.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broschro

she does have all the goodies Sal you know how I roll 8)I was trying to post a picture using my phone but I will have to put The pictures on the computer first or Photobucket and copy the link.

broschro

she will be my 501 SS it'll have the 505 fine thread sleeve and star, stock steel 4:1 gears, Allen's stainless steel bridge with double dogs and I will try my first round grip,any recommendations on size?

Keta

It's amazing what you can find on the internet... ;D

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broschro

Newell Nut

Are you planning to flat line for mangos with that reel? It would be a killer this spring and summer. This is what I use my Newell 300s for.