Avet Raptor question

Started by bmullaney, February 08, 2014, 01:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmullaney

Does the Raptor design eliminate the side load issue where the pinion bearing goes if maxed out?

I fish regularly for Blackfish (aka Tog - grouper like fish usually 2-25 lbs with incredible strength) over here from RI-VA and I need a left handed conventional with good drag that I can lock up for these fish so my non-raptor are out of the question unless I feel like replacing bearings regularly which I don't  :).

I would love get a Newell L220 but I haven't been able to find one so I was thinking of an SX Raptor if the design doesn't cause the heavy lateral load.

Appreciate any thoughts or recommendations on a lefty conventional reel that is light and preferably has 20lbs of drag or more, and a 4:1-5:1 gear ratio. And if you have a Newell L220 or know someone who does please let me know.

Brian

Keta

Quote from: bmullaney on February 08, 2014, 01:49:53 AM
Does the Raptor design eliminate the side load issue where the pinion bearing goes if maxed out?

No but you can fish higher drag before it becomes a problem.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bmullaney

Thank you Keta.  :) I am going to fish my LX Raptor on Monday as we are running 80 miles for trophy fish and I need all the drag I can get. At 25 oz it might be heavy for a 10 hours of fishing. If so I will grab an SX Raptor and try not to push the drag too much.

Keta

My Raptor is a HXJ and I use it with up to 48oz of lead for Pacific halibut in deep water.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

day0ne

Accurate BX-400N (SX size) or a BX-400. Even a BX-500N,  lefty, of course. They are special order.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

bmullaney

I was looking at those Accurate's online. I want to check them out in  person. I have a Accurate 197 from 2004 or 2005. Do you think its worth upgrading to one of these or would you just hang on the 197 if you where me? I have to send Alan the 197. I had a bearing or two fail this past fall fishing heavy drag.

bmullaney

Quote from: Keta on February 08, 2014, 05:40:35 AM
My Raptor is a HXJ and I use it with up to 48oz of lead for Pacific halibut in deep water.

I wish they made that reel in lefty.

day0ne

Quote from: bmullaney on February 08, 2014, 06:59:37 AM
I was looking at those Accurate's online. I want to check them out in  person. I have a Accurate 197 from 2004 or 2005. Do you think its worth upgrading to one of these or would you just hang on the 197 if you where me? I have to send Alan the 197. I had a bearing or two fail this past fall fishing heavy drag.

The 197 and the BX-400N are basically the same reel. The BX has a slightly heavier gear sleeve but only one IAR bearing, where the 197 has two smaller ones.
I love my 197 and 270's.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter