Started by Snagged2, February 08, 2014, 03:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snagged2

Seriously,,, ;D :D

My apologies about my poor casting skills....in more ways than one.. LOL  8) :D

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Mudguts

Quote from: Snagged2 on February 08, 2014, 03:18:36 AM

Can I ask why??

AndrewC

Quote from: Mudguts on February 08, 2014, 08:43:32 AM
Quote from: Snagged2 on February 08, 2014, 03:18:36 AM

Can I ask why??

So archiologists can dig it up in 100,000 years and clone it
The worlds a better place when its upside down

Mudguts

I guess it would make an alright book rest or paper weight :D

Snagged2

Well,, it just seemed like the thing to do,,, had a bunch of accumulated pieces parts,, and,,well,, 

::) :o ;D

and,, it doesn't have carbon drags :'( however,, salt water corrosion is prevalent!! 

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

dogdad1

How unique! 

What'd you use for casting material?
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

Ron Jones

Darn shame what someone did to that acrylic. ;D
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Snagged2

The casting medium is called Max Clear impregnating resin, that I used for some other experiments awhile back..
It's a 2:1 ratio "epoxy" type material which is VERY tough,,
Unfortunately, it's not something I'm familiar with to have a decent outcome.. I just had it around..
I think I made 4 pours,, and, even at that the curing temps hit 187* F !!

I'm thinking,, I should have drilled some holes in the spool arbor to allow trapped air out,, and, also,, the mass of the reel parts, probably had somewhat of a contrasting coefficient of expansion/contraction in relationship to the casting resin..

But,, it's in there!! LOL ;D

dogdad1

Now, THAT'S COOL!

Reminds me of a $50 bet I made with my Uncle years ago.  I forget the details, but it was basically a sucker-bet even though he was sure he was right.  Frustrated that he ended up losing on something so silly, he did pay-up.... with the $50 bill encased in a block of epoxy kinda like yours.  I still have it as a paper-weight.

Guess he had the last laugh, after all.
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

Mandelstam

I like it! Reminds me of Serrano's photograph "Piss Christ". Maybe you should call it "Piss Penn"  ;D
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea