Converting a Stella 8000SW to 8000SWPG

Started by fmb72, February 08, 2014, 04:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fmb72

I currently have a Stella 8000SW.  When I first purchased the reel I was intending to use it for casting......over time I have started to go down the route of Jigging more and more.  I now have a predicament......I have read on multiple forums that a 8000SWPG helps make the whole process of jigging a little more easier.

Well here is my question for everyone........does going from an 8000 to a 8000PG make that much of a difference? And if so would it be worth my while to go from a normal 8K real to a 8KPG reel by converting the internal gears?

madday

somebody did this modification in 360tuna forum if i am not mistaken...

feasibility?
probably not..... the gear set is quite expensive... :D

thedw

hmm is yours a stella 2008 JDM  or USDM model?

or the 2013 SWB model?

since u just said stella 8000PG im guessing its the 2008 US model.

to ans your question yes. changing from the normal ratio or a XG/HG(for JDM 08 stella) to a PG makes a world of difference when it comes to jigging.. Pg gives u a lower gear ratio and more cranking power.

i think the conversion is quite easy. Just swap out the drive gear. thats all... unless im mistaken i think the pinion gear remains the same.

johndtuttle

Quote from: thedw on February 18, 2014, 10:09:38 AM
hmm is yours a stella 2008 JDM  or USDM model?

or the 2013 SWB model?

since u just said stella 8000PG im guessing its the 2008 US model.

to ans your question yes. changing from the normal ratio or a XG/HG(for JDM 08 stella) to a PG makes a world of difference when it comes to jigging.. Pg gives u a lower gear ratio and more cranking power.

i think the conversion is quite easy. Just swap out the drive gear. thats all... unless im mistaken i think the pinion gear remains the same.

I'm sorry but I am pretty much certain that the pinon gear and idle gear must be changed as well. Other than that the reels are identical though, I would say completely getting into a Stella to replace them both is not hard, but time consuming.

They will not be cheap parts either.

Yes, the PG is a big effort saver over the day, however, some still prefer the HG if they fish lighter jigs and want to move them very fast. Pretty much over 300gms the pg is required in my book. But for 1-200gm jigs the HG is fine at least in shorter stints.

ps the Pinions have different part numbers which pretty much guarantees they aren't the same (12434 v 12476).

best

reelgood

Just get a longer handle, similar result...the 20000/18000 handle will fit, you can just swap the spindle they are slightly different, probably cheaper and certainly easier.  The idler gear may be different as well as the main and pinion already mentioned.  Best for jigging ease is a 8000PG with a longer handle :) :)

johndtuttle

Quote from: reelgood on February 22, 2014, 02:50:13 AM
Just get a longer handle, similar result...the 20000/18000 handle will fit, you can just swap the spindle they are slightly different, probably cheaper and certainly easier.  The idler gear may be different as well as the main and pinion already mentioned.  Best for jigging ease is a 8000PG with a longer handle :) :)

This is exactly correct and where I would begin. I have a Yumeya long handle on my Stella 20K and it is dreamy. Shimano USA should happily sell you an 18K handle. I apologize for forgetting all about this solution.

best

mazzuca

Reelgood, are you sure the 20000/18000 handle will fit in a 8000/10000?

mazzuca

Quote from: johndtuttle on February 22, 2014, 03:37:12 AM

This is exactly correct and where I would begin. I have a Yumeya long handle on my Stella 20K and it is dreamy. Shimano USA should happily sell you an 18K handle. I apologize for forgetting all about this solution.

best

Johndtuttle, same question. Do you think the 2008 Stella 18.000/20.000 handle will fit in a 2008 Stella 10.000/8000 ?

johndtuttle

Quote from: mazzuca on July 07, 2017, 12:11:12 PM
Quote from: johndtuttle on February 22, 2014, 03:37:12 AM

best

Johndtuttle, same question. Do you think the 2008 Stella 18.000/20.000 handle will fit in a 2008 Stella 10.000/8000 ?

Yes it should fit iirc.

aquaholik

Quote from: fmb72 on February 08, 2014, 04:10:14 AM
I currently have a Stella 8000SW.  When I first purchased the reel I was intending to use it for casting......over time I have started to go down the route of Jigging more and more.  I now have a predicament......I have read on multiple forums that a 8000SWPG helps make the whole process of jigging a little more easier.

Well here is my question for everyone........does going from an 8000 to a 8000PG make that much of a difference? And if so would it be worth my while to go from a normal 8K real to a 8KPG reel by converting the internal gears?

Need drive gear, pinion gear, and idler gear and maybe some shim for the drive gear. I did it on the 5000SW and ended up not needing the shim. Perfect fit, a lot more power, and a spare drive gear, idle gear, and pinion gear when Shimano stop supporting them.