Rhode Island Cod Fishing

Started by mrbrklyn, February 09, 2014, 02:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Brother, that's called heart! Way to gut it out.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

Ruben, thanks for the info. I've been reading about the IC for a couple years now. They definetly put meat in the box. Really glad you got to wind and grind. I'll there soon. Can't wait to see your dinner pics.they always look great.
Mike, that's right...I remember reading about a shadow box or using a flashlight. Its all good
Ron, I lived in PR for 5 years when I was a kid. Bugs are part of the landscape and food chain. I get it! I just got a thing with worms is all. I can handle them , put them on a hook( even the ones that bite you when you reach into the bait box in pitch darkness ) as sometimes this is the only bait that will make your line come tight on a fish. As far as eating them.....
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

harryk3616

BMITCH

Ruben, very informative,. Thanks for posting.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

surfcaster

Nice fish MrBrkln ! The partyboats go out late march early april up here. I will be going soon.
sometimes gloucester yankee fleet even sooner. I put fresh fillets on ice in the sink & the worms crawl out.
Nearly all the cod i've seen had them.Tigt lines,Richie

Bryan Young

Oh yeah...all I think about is fish and chips now.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Come over and shovel some snow, we still have plenty ;D.

Ruben, someone gave me a penn 320 GTI and mentioned that it would be nice gear for Cod, do you ever see any on that boat?
I'm not a fan of level line or graphite, but I must say, this reel feels and looks nice... especially on the inside. I might hold on to it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastalVT

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 23, 2014, 01:51:22 AM
Come over and shovel some snow, we still have plenty ;D.

Ruben, someone gave me a penn 320 GTI and mentioned that it would be nice gear for Cod, do you ever see any on that boat?
I'm not a fan of level line or graphite, but I must say, this reel feels and looks nice... especially on the inside. I might hold on to it.
Sal

Sal,
I fish the gulf of Maine and see guys using them for Cod and Haddock.  They can cast far enough to get a good jigging angle.  The level winds are nice too if you're fishing bait and reeling up every 15 minutes. 
Jay

Ron Jones

I love my 320, but I have Tani'ized it. It now has no level wind and the reel is all lubed up. It spins and spins. I would think the 4.3 ratio would be great for jigging cod or other non monstrous bottom fish. About the biggest thing I've caught with mine is a just short California halibut.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Thanks CoastalVT, I appreciate your input.

Ron, I need to see your collection someday.

Ron Jones

I've actually got most everything torn apart right now trying to decide what I'm taking to Alan's party in June. WHen it all gets put together and cleaned up I will take some pictures. My reels are nowhere as impressive as most on here. I am still buying reels for specific purposes and not actually "collecting" yet. That will probably start when the Navy is done with me.

I will be able to take a pretty cool shot of a line of Newelled Penns. It will be a Baymaster, a non exploding 501, a Tuna Special, a Grouper Special and a Marlin Special. If their was a Newell base that would work with the 85 spool then I would be happy.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Alto Mare

Thanks guys, I think I'll hold on to this one and maybe do some minor upgrades.
Ruben, that's one sweet rod, is it 20-40? It might be under warranty :-\

Capt Ahab

Nice catching  - thanks for sharing

Those cod are awesome good fun!