Rhode Island Cod Fishing

Started by mrbrklyn, February 09, 2014, 02:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

I won a free trip to Rhode Island for fishing cod this weekend on the Island Current.  I caught a some decent fishing, one would have been the pool winner if I joined the pools, which I don't.  The next day my cohort from Brooklyn, Joe, won the pool, so we made out quite alright.

http://www.noreast.com/postedreports/view.cfm?region_ID=40&id=169586&water_ID=1&fishingType_ID=0&startRecord=1&orderby=date&daysold=30

The fish was so large and my hands were in such bad shape after reeling it in, I could barely hold it up.  It was cold, but clear skys the whole two days.  A lot of cod went into the boat.  I was completely tired out and sore up and down my arm.  A have a broken hand which suffers miserably when I use it, and a nice bone tumor on the long joint of my index finger that limits my fishing.  But we had a good time.  The crazy captain I went with just turned around and ran back up to RI from Brooklyn to catch more fishing this weekend.  Imagine?

Ruben

bluefish69

Ruben

I thought that was you when I saw the picture on Noreast this morning. Would I know the Crazy Captain?

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

harryk3616

hi    mike     about 35 years ago when i was healthy, i ran my 22ft. aquasport out of fire island inlet, stopped at 75ft. second drop off and caught 2 cod, mine was 48lb. and my buddies was 45lb. missed one other bite, that was nice. ooo  baccala

harryk3616

another friend of mine worked at babylon land fill and a company brought in lots of burlap sacks of scallop shells and guts, boy was that good chum , but that was a different fishing day.  i use to sink a 5 gallon chum pot to the bottom with hooks attached to it, only caught 1 cod that way.  down on freeport canal i made a friend who ran a skimmer clam dragger,  ''  mako  ''  and he would let me go in his cooler and take as many bushels as i wanted, and just left the money on the electric panel, for a couple of dollars more, he would schuck and salt them, boy, those were the good old days, i can remember standing on the bow of a friends wood boat breaking the ice in the canal with long 2x4's  so the ice wouldn't slice the wood hull.

bluefish69

I remember that little Dragger, he was a nice guy. He supplied most of the canal with Skimmers back then. 15 Bushels a day for the Starstream & the same for the Capt. Al when he docked on Woodcleft Canal. We would stand on the back of either boat on the way out at 5 AM & shuck Clams for 2-2 1/2 Hrs. till we started to fish.

harryk3616

hey    mike     it just came to me, the draggers name was   george  streit,   does that ring a bell with you.

Ron Jones

Nice fish Ruben, you sure fish a lot for someone who can't fish anymore.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Nice fish Ruben! If I was going to get hurt, I can't think of a better way to do so. ;D
I need to do one of those trips.
Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Thanks for the report Ruben. I've heard they have lock and load cod fishing up that way! This proves it. You'll have some good eats with those. Thanks for giving us all a look at this fishing.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

BMITCH

Ruben, or any ichthyologists seamy have here...are there worms in the flesh of these fish.? I've heard about this and it's kinda weird to have this parasite.

harryk3616

hi   bob    yes those cod are some great eats, sea bass also, these fish hang around wrecks eating crab, mussels and lobster, the meat is pure white and boy are they delish, not fishy or foul. i fillet and skin mine and fry them up , thats how i liked my fish way back when 34 years ago. there were certain times of the year we would catch them on open bottom before the draggers would wipe them out. i miss those days

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

BMITCH

Hey Harry, yeah done my share of cod fishing over the years. Mostly on the Viking outta Montauk. Never had the wide open bite they seem to be having these past couple of years. I wasn't aware of it then, but I've heard these fish are prone to having some kinda parasitic worm in the flesh?? I remember reading on a different forum that when held up to a light you can visibly see these worms and pull them out?? Any truth to this claim?bob

harryk3616

hi   bob      to tell you the truth i don't know, if i didn't see any worms or parasites i figured i was good to go. i don't remember if i saw any worms and cut that section out.  boy i hope this winter will hurry up and get out of here.

bluefish69

Bob

In the West way back when we never saw Worms in the Cod but they had Lice on the outside. The Cod would come up on the Clam Beds or Mussel Beds & scratch off the Lice. The last time I went to Montauk I didn't see many Worms. I N.H. the Cod are loaded with Worms you can pick them out. Some of the guys even made a shadow box & laid the fillets on that to get all of them out. They won't hurt to eat a few the Cod need them to survive, they kill even worse things in the fish.

Mike