any body have a line strength testing system??

Started by pcde123, February 12, 2014, 05:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcde123

i bought some braid , and  i wanna see how well the braid performs but i dont have the proper equipment to do so. i wanna try and test 5 lines, i can mail them to you in an envelope for you to test, 1 is 100lb tufline xp, 1 is 100lb whiplash braid, 1 is 60lb spider wire , 1 is 50lb seaguar braid, and 1 is a unknown 16 strand hollow core braid. i wont expect the line to be returned to me, so if you have a system set up and have some free time please help me out

Keta

I still have a few 150lb spring scales for sale.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Shark Hunter

Unless you are Sharking from a boat, I don't recommend braid for Shark Fishing. It cuts too easily for me from shore. I've had 100 lb braid cut like it was thread. I'm pretty sure from another shark.
I know you are getting into Shark Fishing, and from my experience from Shore. This is a weak link you should avoid.
Life is Good!

Normslanding

Mark at Charkbait has one in Huntington Beach, Ca.  (if he will let you use it)

pcde123

thank you for the link, the website is nice and informative

Bunnlevel Sharker

The tuff line is good chit, I won't use straight braid on a reel bigger than 4/0 size off the beach, they have braid backing and mono top shot
Grayson Lanier

floating doc

I'm going with straight mono 80 on top of about 25 yards of 80 dacron on my 900H and 115L when I go beach shark fishing this summer.
Central Florida

CapeFish

our latest craze this side of the Atlantic with league anglers is using grinders with braid for sharks and anything else that swims. Baits are casted. Some pretty big fish have been landed but it is a very expensive business, the reels aren,t cheap and the line probably costs more than some of my reels. It works well from beaches but rocks it is probably a different story.

ijlal

Now, I might sound naive, but I thought and thought and could not figure out why can't line, especially braid or superline may not be tested by simply suspending a weight or pulling against a weighing scale? Okay, I understand the jerks should be eliminated in case of braid.

Hope somebody would help educate me.

Thanks!
I live 'fishing'!

floating doc

I think the problem is that it's difficult to avoid having it turn into a test of knot strength. I have tested mono up to about 25 pounds by typing a bimini at the end and looping it on my sliding scale, then pulling straight from the spool. The line has to break somewhere in the middle, not at the knot.
Central Florida

wallacewt

if it breaks at the knot or 1/2 way along the line
it dont matter,thats what b/s you have.
aint it? ??? ??? ???

ijlal

Quote from: floating doc on July 19, 2014, 11:31:19 PM
I think the problem is that it's difficult to avoid having it turn into a test of knot strength. I have tested mono up to about 25 pounds by typing a bimini at the end and looping it on my sliding scale, then pulling straight from the spool. The line has to break somewhere in the middle, not at the knot.

In all my tests, the line never breaks at the knot, it always breaks in the middle and at significantly lesser than rated strength. I form loops at both ends in order to test braid.
I live 'fishing'!

johndtuttle

The key is whether you want real information or if something that is an approximation to varying degrees of accuracy is good enough for your fishing.

All of the "home" methods are rife with errors when it comes to the Actual Breaking Strength and you need a truly professional method to be accurate, as well as to be safe.

If you are very careful you can come up with "seat of the pants" numbers that may be good enough for your purposes. If you are using it for comparing lines then you really need something more consistent so as to not mislead. ;)