5/18/2010 - point sur 3 x 19 + 54

Started by alantani, May 24, 2010, 12:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

there was a ton of mold under the cover of the boat that had accumulated over the last 6 months.  it took the entire saturday to pressure wash all of it out.  then i spent all of sunday applying a waterproofing spray to the cover.  it came out beautifully.  monday was spend going through the boat.  i topped off the trailer wheel bearings with grease, greased all the fittings on the motors, ran the motors to make sure they were peeing, fired up the electronics, flushed out the fresh water tank, checked the flares, added the new registration tags, unstuck all the zippers on the pfd's, charged up the handheld radios, set out all the rock cod gear and went through all of the reels.  things started out a mess, but after three days work, including a good scrubbing, and we were ready to go on tuesday.

tuesday's trip was looking good.  we were in between storms and the water was supposed to be flat.  we made it to the coast guard launch ramp in monterey at day break.  

it's been taken over by furbags, but at least they gave us enough room to launch.

for this trip, my crew consisted of three 19 year olds, all back on break from UC Berkeley.

first is jennifer ....

then jue yan......

and last was sandra.  she's the one that lives next door.  i decided to pick on jennifer most of the day, so she got to drive.

and what a day it was.  hey, can i pick 'em, or what?  it stayed flat like this all day.

jue yan is the analytical type.  

sandra will get to run the deck today.  

she fast becoming a very capable deckhand.

sandra struck first.  

jue yan got the second fish.  

jennifer stuck the third fish.....

.... and the fourth.

c'mon, we need some muscles here!!!!!!!!

nevermind!

so here's what we were using for gear.  i have a set of 6 shimano trevala rods matched up with the daiwa 17 line counters.  the reels were strung with straight 50 pound spectra to a swivel.  next was a 3 foot section of 30# mono with a shrimp fly attached by a blood knot.  at the bottom is an 8 ounce bullet head jig with a 7 inch kalin grub on the bottle.  i like to add bait, so i'll take a whole squid, tear off the head and hang it on the shrimp fly, then attach the squid body to the jig.  big fish go for the jigs.  big and small fish hit the shrimp flys.

sandra finally stuck her own ling.  white seemed to be working pretty well.

we were on a long drift and hit a patch with NOTHING on the meter.  yup, nothing but flat bottom.  jen's rod suddenly loaded up, and then sandra's rod went off.  they were rewarded for their patience with a pair of very nice vermillions.  

jue yan finally got a few fish of his own.

leave it to ladies to have to have the last word!

with attitude!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ichinumba9

Hey Alan I saw those pics and started thinking of a way to incorporate those into some bottom fishing off a kayak in Hawaii.  I belong to the Aquahunters in Hawaii and I'm always looking for efficient techniques for the kayak.  You think this would be pausible off a kayak?  Thanks for any info and love the pics of your trips.

Dominick

Looks like great fun.  Great looking kids, looking like they were having fun.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Norcal Pescador

Great report, Alan! Looks like Jennifer is the ling-master. Keep up the good work with the kids.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

Quote from: ichinumba9 on May 06, 2012, 08:54:50 AM
Hey Alan I saw those pics and started thinking of a way to incorporate those into some bottom fishing off a kayak in Hawaii.  I belong to the Aquahunters in Hawaii and I'm always looking for efficient techniques for the kayak.  You think this would be pausible off a kayak?  Thanks for any info and love the pics of your trips.

absolutely!  check this same section and you will find a mothership trip described where i brought kayaks down to this same area. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!