Lubricant must haves...for maintaining trolling reels in Nauru

Started by FishnNauru, February 12, 2014, 09:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishnNauru

Hey all,
So I'm in the middle of nowhere in Nauru, supplies are hard to come by, and usually must be ordered from civilization...
I troll and need to maintain my trolling reels, a shimano tld30II, and everol 4/0 special. Right now I have been using OMC triple guard grease for everything, unshield ing bearings and packing them by hand with this grease.(I'm yet to do much on the shimano...the everol is super easy to work on, love it:)
Is that ok since I'm not casting and free spool time is irrelevant!?
I have a penn pack of stuff I brought here with me: synthetic reel oil, rod and reel cleaner, precision reel grease all X-1R products, plus the OMC triple guard grease a left over from my old Johnson outboard gear.(I could probably find the yamaha grease if really necessary, but the OMC tube will last me till I have grand kids :) ) I have some crc silicone lubricant( says nothing on it about Teflon...so guessing its not)
So tell me what are my must haves? My casting reels, all spinners see very little use and therefore little maintenance.
I figure I need some calls grease for the drags. Not sure where all the other lubricants raved about, tsi320/321, corrosion X fit into my needs.
I use my trolling reels 3 times a week, so how often do I need to inspect, service and regrease?
I have the gift of taking a small job and making it into a big job!

wallacewt

hi fishnauru
australia maybe your best bet
you dont need cals grease,and tsi,a lot of muckin about.
just order penn grease and oil or jarvis walker etc;
lots of parts for various reels here
anglers central service centre.com.au
info@anglerscentral.com.au
if you have any trouble i can get it for you
and you can pay with paypal
cheers

alantani

any outboard engine grease is fine for an all purpose grease.  we need to get you some cal's pure teflon drag grease for the drag washers.  then any oil is fine.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

FishnNauru

Here is a pic of what I have I forgot to include it earlier.
Anyone know if this penn grease is ok for drags or not? Checked the website, they say nothing has changed with it...but not what's in it or what you can and can't use it for :(

wallacewt

if somebody can get you cals grease
for your drag washers go for it
it too expensive down under

Mudguts

I can't even find cal's grease over here Nauru, your next best thing would be as wallacewt said or try Inox mx6 or 8.
It's made in Queensland, Aus.

FishnNauru

Got some of calls drag grease on the way from the US of A. Found it on eBay, cheap as :)