penn 114hlw sideplates?

Started by broadway, May 24, 2010, 02:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

I have been tinkering with the 114h's lately and now the HLW's.  I just bought two brand new 114HLW's from an online retailer who is the only online site that has the USA made left in stock.  My problem is I tried to remove the sideplates to make sure everything including the drag stack gets greased properly and I can't budge them even a tiny bit.  Jokes over, after the past hour of trying...what's the secret guys?  I must be missing something.  All screws have been removed from the sideplates...both left and right side of both reels.  What'd ya think crew?  Thanks
Dom

alantani

got the tubular aluminum frames?  the side plates are counterbored.  you have to give them a slight whack!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Alan
     Yes, they have the aluminum tubular frame.  How and where do I whack it?  Thanks
Dom

broadway

I just wanted to let you guys know how this problem was rectified.  I spoke to Alan and here's what he told me to do.  Take a wood dowel small enough to fit between the aluminum tubular frame to get to the (I did the non handle side first) side of the spool.  Next hold the dowel and reel firmly (helps with 2 people) and lightly tap the spool using the dowel and any blunt object (I used pliers).  I had to tap it twice until it popped out.  No damage done!  If this doesn't work for you, use a very sharp swiss army knife, wiggle/ tap the back of the knife blade (extra) lightly going around until you free it up. This could damage the sideplates if not done perfectly ( I never tried it). Hope this helps.  Thanks again Alan!
Dom

alantani

phew!  glad it worked!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!