Penn International 30T Performance drag issue

Started by tkei, February 14, 2014, 12:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tkei

I am new here, but have visited often to check out service tips etc as I have seen Alantani on some South African Websites. Great info here. Thanks.

I am upgrading my 30T to a 50lb reel and I installed the performance kit supplied with the reel. The kit says install ()(). I have done this but the drag is now at full lock at strike witht he drag adjustment screw loosened right off. I havent changed anything else in the reel. With the 30 washers installed in the same ()() way, the drag and freespool was fine, but the range of drag on the arc wasnt great (from new). it on at 10lb at strike but rapily drops off as you back the lever off.
My tiagra has a better range.
Could I do a split ()() with 1x 30 and 1x50 set or will it affect it if I go (()) etc. What else could i do? I am using the reel as 50lb now so would prefer the higher drag.

DaBigOno

Aloha!  Welcome Adam,

Sometimes it's about experimenting with things that will get us close to what we want.  You could try and add another beveled washer while reconfiguring the orientation of the washers as a set.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

alantani

when you go from "()()" to "(())", you will get a higher drag range, but the drag pressure ramps up much faster.  small changes in lever position or small turns in the preset dial will give you big jumps in drag pressure.  you are asking the reel to deliver more drag pressure.  that comes at a cost.  but try it.  this is usually the quickest and easiest option. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!