TSI for Pinion Bearings?

Started by HalBrown, February 15, 2014, 03:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HalBrown

Alan et al, I have wondered if pinion bearings on reels used only in fresh water dipped in TSI 301 would be as protected as packing in grease?

HalBrown

I think no one is sure enough to say.  Do I have these experts stumped?   

Bryan Young

Are you talking about the pinion bearing on a lever drag fresh water reel or are you referring the spool bearing that is next to the pinion?  Just to be clear...

For lever drag reels, I recommend packing the pinion bearing with grease because of the load factor irrespective of the climate condition of use. 

If it's the spool bearing that is adjacent ot the pinion gear, like in most bait casters, then TSI as it's really a spool bearing.

Hope this helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

HalBrown

I am already running TSI spool bearings.  Strictly talking dipping the pinion bearing instead of grease packed.  Yes, a fresh water only baitcaster.  I may just try one for three months or so in lieu of the grease to see how it holds up.  Looks like no one has ever tried it.

Bryan Young

I really do not know which bearing you are referring to... I'm sorry.

Can you post a picture or diagram of a reel and identify the bearing you are referring to?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Pro Reel

He is talking about reels such as a shimano curado 200 with a bearing that the pinion gear rides in. The answer is yes. I have been using TSI 321 on all pinion bearings in freshwater reels for the last 2 years now. In those reels, the pinion bearing mostly holds the pinion gear in alignment so the spool shaft doesn't rub the inside. There is also some lateral stability during cranking, but we are not fishing for tuna with these reels. What tghe TSI does that grease doesn't do is provide a lot better corrosion protection, especially if you use these reels in tanic or salt water

HalBrown

Bingo, that's it ProReel. All of my reels are Shimano low profile baitcasters used in my large mouth bass fresh water fishing, all of which have the pinion bearing in which the pinion gear rides.  I am encouraged by your comment and will give it a try.

A question for you Pro Reel, how often do you clean the bearing and with what before you treat again with 321?

Bryan Young

Good.  That is what I thought you were talking about Hal.  Yes, I use TSI or CorrosionX or my CorrosionX/TSI blend on that bearing as well.

HalBrown

Many thanks to both of you.  With two out of two I can't go wrong.

Pro Reel

I actually mis spoke there. I use the TSI 301 on those bearings, not the 321. I just dip the clean bearings in the 301 can the same way we do spool bearings. Mine are good for a full year, probably longer but I redo them once a year. If I fished salt, I would do the a lot more frequently.

Bucktail

Quote from: Pro Reel on February 21, 2014, 12:20:36 AM
I actually mis spoke there. I use the TSI 301 on those bearings, not the 321.

Why the 301 and not the 321?
Just a jig-a-lo

thedw

yup TSI is fine for both the main pinion gear bearing as well as the pinion gear support bearing (just inside of tension knob)
in my experience the first bearing to go in a low profile reel is usually the pinion gear support bearing and handle knob bearings

but since its for FW use.. no probs.....

however @bryan  doesnt TSI have an equal load carrying capacity to that of grease?

Pro Reel

The 301 is the thin version with solvent. You can just dip the bearing and let it run inside, then shake it off and let it dry. You end up with all of the internals coated with the tsi. You can use the the thicker 321, you just need to make sure you get it in the bearing and get everything coated.

exp2000

This is a load carrying bearing and does not come into play during freespool.

It is relatively exposed compared to other bearings so it often fails from saltwater corrosion.

For these reasons, I treat it with TSI, then pack it with thin grease to fully seal it so saltwater cannot enter.
~

Bryan Young

Quote from: thedw on February 21, 2014, 12:04:49 PMhowever @bryan  doesnt TSI have an equal load carrying capacity to that of grease?

Grease has higher load carrying capacity.  It was explained to me before but I cannot remember the reason.