SL20SH Anti Reverse Ratchet

Started by jaypeegee, February 16, 2014, 10:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaypeegee

Hi

I have a couple of SL20SHB's

I have not fished them for a while due to having bought an Avet MXL MC for shore fishing
The AVET is a beaut and one of the main points of enjoyment is the build quality and tolerance.
No play in the handle and soooo quiet.

I have decided to revisit the SLOSH's and found that the handle play is not enjoyable in comparison.
The reels are still very nice and I do not want to sell them but wish to address the "sloppiness" that is inherent in them.

They are both in very good mechanical nick. I have completely stripped them previously and lapped the washers etc greased and oiled the various bearings and replaced a couple of parts that had failed.

To address the handle play I have shimmed below and above the drive shaft this has reduced the in and out" movement nicely without adding unwanted pressure against the cage or the retainer.
The shims have been made from the bottom of an aluminum can and cut to the size of the retainer plate and the drive shaft washer.
The retainer shim has had approx.001 filed off to allow ease of turning on the drive shaft.

It casts and fishes really well.

Now I am looking to mod the anti reverse ratchet to reduce the backplay in the handle.

Looking at the angle of the dog and the construction of the ratchet and teeth angle I believe I can change this to increase the number of teeth on the ratchet either by fabricating one myself or even better finding one in another Daiwa 20 sized reel and using that instead.

It may be that if a compatible AR ratchet exists I will need to replace the dog for a better fit but that is no real issue but purchasing one will be a faster and easier route to take so:

Does anyone here know of a Daiwa reel that has the same ID slot size and same OD (with more teeth) for the AR ratchet that could be considered as a possible match for this?
I don't wish to look at an AR bearing as the extra construction needed will likely be far too much time (if it is even possible)

Noting that:

This is a project for my enjoyment.
I am not interested in selling the reel and replacing it with a different reel as I would like to pursue this attempt

I appreciate your time in reading.

LTM

JPG,

Next time I take apart one of my Saltigas and other Daiwas I will check this out. Keep us updated on your progress for Im very interested in this subject as well.

Leo

jaypeegee

Hi. Appreciate it. Looks like it will cost 80nzd to get one fabricated.if its a tenable idea.

jaypeegee

No answers from other sites I have posted on as yet
I have emailed Cierra at Mikes also.

It looks like the ratchet from a 30shv or grandwave might fit based on the handle bearing size being the same ID and extrapolating that the shaft has the same sized key at the bottom.

Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

SoCalAngler

You may want to try here?

Daiwa Corporation
11137 Warland Drive
Cypress, CA 90630
admail@daiwa.com
Telephone: (562) 375-6800
Fax Number: (800) 736-4653

Ron Jones

The Grandwave Z is basically the SH-V reel with better components. There is a procedure (on here I think) to upgrade the V to the GrandWave and most of that should work on your reel. I am not absolutly certain that the GrandWave has a different anti-reverse ratchet, but I believe it has an AR that will probably fit your reel.

If you decide to make the new ratchet please let us know. I would probably like to get in on that.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jaypeegee

Hi SOCAL

I have emailed daiwa Australia   asking about the suitability of the below parts. I will email daiwa USA as well now. Thank you.
Saltiga 40 Key number 32 - Part number 6f826301 
Saltist 30 Key number 31- Part number 6g603901 
Saltiga 30 Key number 32 - Part number G21-3902
Saltist BG20-30 Key number 31- Part number 6e6250

Ron. I have looked at the conversion thread a few times. I struggle with understanding how the AR bearing would fit and clip correctly.
Based on pix of the shv I've seen, the rh plate has a recess for the ar fastening clip to sit in which is not in the sl20. 

I am happy to be proven wrong. :-).

Ron Jones

That may be the case, I've never opened a sl20, only the Vs and Grand Waves. I still love the ratchet idea, something about IARs I don't like.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

jaypeegee

Hi All

I found out the following:

The proportions may be incorrect as I received the information while on the bus going to work but...

The ratchet from the Saltist BG20H looks like it is the one that is likely closest.

Key# 31 E62-5001

It has the same sized keyed hole and approx. the same OD
Where it 's main deviation is in it's thickness.

The SL20SH is 2.2mm from memory and the BG20H is 1.5mm
Not sure if two tacked together and filed to size is better or if shimming this one up to mate with the dog is better

Thoughts?

I have asked for confirmation on actual size and will confirm when I find out.

LTM

JPG,

The SL20SH is 2.2mm from memory and the BG20H is 1.5mmNot sure if two tacked together and filed to size is better or if shimming this one up to mate with the dog is better

The difference is only 0.70mm. I, like alot of us use a carbaon fiber washer under the main gear. I dont know how well this might work: add a 0.7mm washer under the main gear along with whatever else you may have to make up the difference. This has worked inside of the main gear to make-up differences there.

Sorry, I havent opened up my Saltiga's yet.

Leo

jaypeegee

Why the carbon fiber washer under the main gear?
No problem about the saltiga - Any help is appreciated but happy to plug away on this and be able to add to the forum knowledge
Understand the difference is minimal but wondered whether the difference would impact the mesh/mating of the dog as the reciprocal part would be thicker.

LTM

Quote from: jaypeegee on March 17, 2014, 04:32:47 AM
Why the carbon fiber washer under the main gear?No problem about the saltiga - Any help is appreciated but happy to plug away on this and be able to add to the forum knowledge
Understand the difference is minimal but wondered whether the difference would impact the mesh/mating of the dog as the reciprocal part would be thicker.
JPG,

Carbon fiber under the main gear: I did a cursory search for some posts and as usual cant find any off-hand. The idea/reasoning is that it provides a better surface for the gear to rotate on than the factory washer, and as an incendental the slight increase in thickness (sometime) also increase's drag due to the height of the "drag stack"  being slightly larger. Your goal in drag mods is to maintain the stock drag height as much as possible +/- small deviation.

In regards to the dog engaging the rachet, this should not have any effect for the cf washer is going between the gear and the rachet. The rachets position hasnt changed, its the gear thats being elevated slightly.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will chime in for more clarity.

Leo