Ester based lubes(like Tsi) and plastic parts.

Started by Killerbug, February 16, 2014, 10:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killerbug

Just read on another board, that someone adviced a guy using Tsi 301 on the internals on a Calcutta baitcaster.

I mostly do modern reels with some plastic parts. So I have done some research on this topic, and not only the environment, but also the lubes we use, have some influence on the lifespan of these parts. Truly these parts are interchangeable, but my philosophy behind reel maintenance, is longevity.    

It's an engineering fact, that there are some general guidelines to follow for selecting a synthetic base oil for plastics or elastomers. Fluoroethers and silicones are compatible with most plastics. Synthetic hydrocarbons generally can be used with all plastics but not elastomers. And esters should be used with extreme caution with polycarbonate, polyester, polyphenylene oxide, polystyrene, polysulfone, polyvinyl chloride, Buna S, Butyl, natural rubber, and neoprene.

So, the question is just how long time? it will take before we see the first incidents, causes by broken pinion yokes, or cracked sideplates, due to ill advices and alchemy.  I would never advice anyone to use Tsi in reels containing plastics. Tsi claims that Tsi 321 is not harmfull to plastic. If 321 contains esters like Tsi 301, this can simply not be true, as it is the ester(the lube itself) that destroys plastic.  At least according to the engineering sources I have access to.

I might be wrong, but as Tsi has no data sheets available, I wouldn't risk my expensive baitcasters.  
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Bucktail

Wow!  I just got a bottle of TSI 321 for Christmas (I know "How Exciting! ;D).  So far I've used it in my Curado 300 DSV and my Calcutta 400.  I think I'll wait until I find out more before I put it in any more of my reels.
Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

not so sure on this one.  tsi 321 comes in a yellow plastic bottle, so i am guessing that the lubricant alone will not soften the plastics or make them brittle.  and the solvent carrier in the tsi 301 evaporates almost instantly.  seen that enough times as well.  my understanding is that it supposed to be the solvent in the tsi 301 that causes problems.  personally, i wouldn't worry about either one. 

what i do is to use tsi 301 and tsi 321 on bearings only.  but that's just because of the expense.  i still use corrosion x as a general all purpose light lubricant/oil.  i've been using more tsi 321 just because i HAVE more.  it's all i can ship overseas.  so as far as plastics go, i don't worry about any of these.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

From American gas & Chemical Co. the makers of TSI.

TSI 301 contains a solvent and is not recommended for use on plastics but ideal for use with metals.
TSI 321 does not contain a solvent and is highly recommended for use where most plastics* are present.

*TSI321 is compatible with all plastics except PMMA (polymethyl methacrylate) and PVB (poly-vinyl butyral). If in doubt test before use.

I do the same as Alan TSI is only used on bearings.

Tiddlerbasher

Make your own 'TSI301' from 20% TSI321 and 80% IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol 99% pure). Safe on plastics, safer for you, evaporates fairly quickly, penetrates well and CHEAPER  ;)

thedw

hmm i just to be safe avoid it on plastics i guess...

but i recently used TSI on my anodised blue level wind guide rail for my daiwa zillion and now the blue is faded :(((

alantani

i have some 99% isopropyl alcohol that i use to make case lube.  my formula is one part lanolin and 12 parts 99% ipa.  i'll have to try the tsi321 mixture!  thanks for the suggestion. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Killerbug

PVC is probably as resistant to esters, as to acids etc.  And among all the different plastic parts, used i modern reels, I estimate, that nylons are the most frequent used plastic in single parts. If Nylon and esters are compatible, I don't know.   

It's my experience, that the first thing that goes in a modern baitcaster, is the plastic clutch mechanism. Here I would only used, a teflon and elastomer thickened grease, like Magnalube-G, or Calls grease. The teflon assures plastics parts some degree of lubrication, even if the grease should be washed out.

Tawakoni Terror

I'm interested in this discussion on a number of levels because I an independent manufacturers rep for a nano technology product that solves all these issue and then some. But before I post I thought I would check to see what the rules are on self promotion. Please advise.

Killerbug

Quote from: Bucktail on February 17, 2014, 12:43:33 AM
Wow!  I just got a bottle of TSI 321 for Christmas (I know "How Exciting! ;D).  So far I've used it in my Curado 300 DSV and my Calcutta 400.  I think I'll wait until I find out more before I put it in any more of my reels.

I think as long you are not soaking the plastic internals in TSI, there will be no problems with the Calcutta 400. Most are using tsi, uniquely for bearings, where they lube the bearing exterior of the reel, and let it dry well before inserting them into the reels.

The Curado has a plastic site plate, that host one of the spool bearings, but what kind of plastic exactly, I don't know. But as mentioned above, if used only for bearings It's should be fine.

Jimmer

KB - How's the magna lube working out long term?
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Killerbug

Quote from: Jimmer on February 18, 2014, 12:28:13 PM
KB - How's the magna lube working out long term?

For the reels I use it for, for sure better than traditional Lithium grease(as it does not emulsified with any kind of water). As a drag grease it's marvelous, works perfect combined wit Carbontex drag washers.

But what is long term, opened an old 80's ABU the other day, had perfect grease inside  ???