Respooling my braid...tight this time

Started by FishnNauru, February 17, 2014, 03:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishnNauru

So I was reading that braid needs to be put on the spool with 10lbs of pressure...wishing I'd known this before I spooled the reel (a shimano tld30ii) I decided to spool it on correctly this time...
I use an alvey winch ( which is like a overgrown handline with handles and drag)for running a dive board, and its spool capacity is well...huge, so I spooled all the 80 braid onto in, set the drag at 10lb and reeled it all back in the reel in low.
Sore arms and a ball of sweat later, my braid it tight, I'm glad I did it(I'm not looking forward to doing my other reel...it's a single speed). I had not had too many issues with the line binding in itself, but read of guys losing big fish when the braid bound and snapped...didn't wanna be that guy :)
Now I know how to do it right for next time:)
My winch is bigger than the pic, but you get the idea. It's the fishing reel of 90% of Nauruan fishing boats...abit commercial but very handy for running a diveboard.
I have the gift of taking a small job and making it into a big job!

Tightlines667

What's the capacity of say 2.0mm dia mono on that reel?  Can the spools be changed quickly, and where could I find one in the states?  My friend is looking for something for vertical commercial gear.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

LTM

FN,

Keta aka Lee will be posting some pictures of his tennis ball tensioning device for braid soon, so stay tuned.

Leo

FishnNauru

Check out the alvey website tightlines666
Alvey.com.au
There is a US alvey site
Alveyusa.com
I didn't see anything on the US site about deck winches, but that doesn't mean they couldn't get one over from oz for ya :)
They are less sporting but super practical :)
Here is some info about the reef queen, bigger than the example I posted earlier.
http://alvey.com.au/products/1425rqlc/

Tightlines667

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on to him.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Quote from: LTM on February 17, 2014, 07:50:56 AM
FN,

Keta aka Lee will be posting some pictures of his tennis ball tensioning device for braid soon, so stay tuned.

Leo

Here it is.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

LTM

FishnNauru

That rig looks cool Lee, about how many pounds of pressure do you get on the spool?
You get full redneck points for the device too I reckon :)

Shark Hunter

Now that's using your noggin' Lee! ;) You had that Bad Boy Calibrated and a Patent on it yet? 8)
Life is Good!

Keta

If someone holds the tennis balls it can get over 15 pounds, in the vice 10 to 12 is about all it will do.  It can get hot and melt the spool too if you wind too fast.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

;D Just reel slow so you don't catch your balls on fire! :D
Life is Good!

FishnNauru

Goodness gracious , great balls of fire!!! :)

LTM

Too cool Lee,

Thats just COOL Lee. I would have never thougt about the spool melting. Since you have experience with your tool can you give us a general parts list off the top of your head. I see the components but what are the practical sizes of things like the threaded pieces of steel, washers, are those ny-lock nuts, etc?  I know this is simple to you, however few have your millwright background/experience (or even know what a millwright is).

Thanx,

Leo

Keta

18"-24" 3/8 course "all thread" depending on spool size
2 3/8 washers (I lost one and it's not in the photo, they go between the fender washer and the nut.
4 3/8 fender washers
2 tennis balls
1 3/8-16 nylock nut
2 3/8-16 nuts (you can use 1 nylock but I've found double nutting is faster and easier)

Mark Twain