BRAID CUTTERS?

Started by LTM, February 18, 2014, 04:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Guys,

Ive heard of the kids scissors working well and I like the blunt/safety nose as well. Thanx SoCal, I'll check those out also. Ive got wire for threading, now some scissors. Only thng left is the braid, wait I need lots of money first for the braid.  :(  Lee, as you advised me earlier I will spool up my reels gradually over time to keep the cost down.  My high priority reels for getting braid will be my trolling reels and bottom fishing reels which will benefit the most from the increased capacity. Next on the list will be the reels that necessitate braid in order to fish them with heavy line (ie TLD20/40S with 40#) and the braid will give me the added capacity thats needed also on such reels. This way I will be able to evaluate the performance of braid vs my non-braided reels to see if I will WANT OR NEED  to put braid on all of my reels.

Thanx much guys,

Leo

Leo

maxpowers

Leo,

I think for trolling rigs, most people just rig with straight mono or mono on top of dacron backings as the trolling reels typically do not need to have a lot of lines out (80 yards is the most I have seen someone trolled).  Your bottom rig definitely is a good candidate for braid backing.  In this case just use solid braid which is much much cheaper than hollow braid.  I think Alan Chu is selling 1500 yards spool of 80 lbs solid for $120 + shipping.  As for putting a short hollow sleeve on top, I think you can buy 100 yards spool for anywhere from $15 - $25.  In this instances, I would imagine the 1500 yards spool could be used for anywhere from 3-5 reels a couple of 100 yard spools of different lbs test could round out all you need for the hollow sleeves and amke about 20-30 windon or in line spliced leaders easily.

FishnNauru

Boomerang tool is awesome for braid cutting.
Clippers last a while but then don't clip braid well.
Lighter is good too, both mono and braid.
I have the gift of taking a small job and making it into a big job!

Alto Mare

I used my cigarette to cut my line, but I quit in 1990 :-\. I now use Berkley stainless steel nail clippers, but don't use much braid though.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I've quit for 45 days now Sal. It was a lot easier to do than I expected. ;)
I still am using an electronic one, but no real cigs.
Life is Good!

BMITCH

I finally gave them up 7 years ago. The first 15 or so times I quit it just didn't take. Then my wife had a health scare and out they went. Point being...you need to be motivated. Then it becomes real easy. Good luck Daron. You will feel better for it!
luck is the residue of design.

philaroman

Quote from: LTM on February 18, 2014, 03:52:15 PM
Guys,

Ive heard of the kids scissors working well and I like the blunt/safety nose as well.

If you like the kids' safety scissors idea, look for older US-made Fiskars (the newer Chinese ones are not as good)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Fiskars+%28kid%2Csafety%29+%28usa%2Cus%29&_osacat=0&_from=R40&clk_rvr_id=589477450779&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XFiskars+%28usa%2Cus%29&_nkw=Fiskars+%28usa%2Cus%29&_sacat=0

me, I'm happy w/ dangerous filet knives, razor blades & lighters

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Shark Hunter

Quote from: BMITCH on February 19, 2014, 01:44:25 AM
I finally gave them up 7 years ago. The first 15 or so times I quit it just didn't take. Then my wife had a health scare and out they went. Point being...you need to be motivated. Then it becomes real easy. Good luck Daron. You will feel better for it!
Thanks Bob! I quit drinking the hard stuff months ago. Now no smokes.
No one told me I had to do either. I just knew it was the right thing to do.
Being here, learning new stuff all the time, keeps me pretty occupied. ;)
Life is Good!

SacFly

I also use cheap kids construction paper scissors.  Cheap enough that you can buy a bunch and scatter them through your house and car, basically anywhere you might need to cut braid.

Shark Hunter

I do that with reading glasses! ;)
Life is Good!

LTM

Thanx guys,

Got the blunt USA Fiskars from ebay, thanx for the heads up

Leo

Dominick

I just use my teeth.  ::)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Do you take them out and slam on them like a stapler! :D
Life is Good!

Brendan