Longbeach 66 spool in narrow 4/0

Started by Topshot, February 18, 2014, 04:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topshot

I'm building a 113h and I'm going to put a narrow frame on it. I can get a REALLY good deal on a frame but I doesn't have a spool. I read on an old post that you can use a spool from a longbeach 66 in a narrow 113h. This is the post I read http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4578.0;wap2
Or will it only work in a 113 non H due to the the 113h having bearings
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Ron Jones

You can use a 66 spool in a 113 (black side plate) with a narrow frame. If you use the 66 guts then you have a "Grouper Special," a reel designed on this board a couple years ago. If you have a 113H then you must have a Yellowtail Special spool. Both are awesome reels and well worth the investment to make. The vast majority of people want a YTS.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Yup, the 66 spool fits a 113, not a 113H.  

One of the projects that I want to finish is my "Grouper Special".  I just cut a bunch of .025" drag washers for it out of hardened titanium.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Lee,
Please tell me you are selling those?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

As soon as I know they will work.  I'll test them in a Surfmaster.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Topshot

Well I thought I was going to be able to get out of this project a little cheaper lol. But I should know by now that there is no such thing. Oh well I'll just keep my eyes peeled for a narrow spool. But that grouper special does sound interesting
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Keta

Stock 113 bridge and gears 2:1, 66 bridge and gears 2.5:1.  I have a fixture to mill the hole in the side plate to center the 66 gearsleeve and make it look nicer.

Mark Twain

Topshot

Quote from: Keta on February 18, 2014, 05:47:35 AM
Stock 113 bridge and gears 2:1, 66 bridge and gears 2.5:1.  I have a fixture to mill the hole in the side plate to center the 66 gearsleeve and make it look nicer.
Boy that sounds like one sloooooow reel. But I guess that's what you need for those big grouper
Michael Baughman

Shark Hunter

Well Crap! Titanium Lee! Really! You've been in the Batcave again!
Life is Good!

Topshot

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 18, 2014, 05:58:16 AM
Well Crap! Titanium Lee! Really! You've been in the Batcave again!
We'll great now you have me talking crap to my reels! Asking them why they aren't made out of titanium
Michael Baughman

Keta

Someone that tinkers with reels and lives in a small village in Alaska donated some material.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
"

Shark Hunter

The same guy that gets 48 lbs of drag out of a 600H!
He made me cross the line. I am officially a Daiwa Owner! ;)
Life is Good!