Frozen Bearing Removal, Abu 5500C3

Started by Prefessa, February 18, 2014, 08:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prefessa

Guys:

Took a chance on a "Post Sandy" Abu 5500C3....reel was under water and broken... I picked it up for 10 bucks at a local Flea market.

So the reel was cosmetically not bad at all...after cleaning... the IAR bearing is shot...which can be replaced...

The deal breaker (diff between restoration and using the reel for parts) is that the ball bearings are stuck inside the spool. I have tried soaking in WD40, and using an ultrasonic bath and heating the bearings directly with a torch style cigar lighter to no avail. I wouldn't be concerned if the BB were OK, but they are shot. Abu spools are not cheap...but if I can get these out I can slap a new set in and after IAR replacement I will have a new reel in my arsenal. If Not I got Parts.

Any Ideas, Techniques?

Any Ideas as to how to get these out without damaging the spool>>

Chris Gatorfan

Try using 2 deep sockets, one for both sides of the spool. Place the larger one on the table and slide the shaft into it. Now place the smalled diameter socket on the shaft flush to the Bearing. Now with a hammer start tapping the socket until the bearing breaks loose. the repeat...I did this on a Ambassadeur 4400c3 two weeks ago and it worked perfectly no damage at all to the spool or shaft. Just dont hit it like a mad man.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

wallacewt

Prefessa

Quote from: Chris Gatorfan on February 18, 2014, 08:28:49 AM
Try using 2 deep sockets, one for both sides of the spool. Place the larger one on the table and slide the shaft into it. Now place the smalled diameter socket on the shaft flush to the Bearing. Now with a hammer start tapping the socket until the bearing breaks loose. the repeat...I did this on a Ambassadeur 4400c3 two weeks ago and it worked perfectly no damage at all to the spool or shaft. Just dont hit it like a mad man.

Chris: Thank You for Sharing...But I am having trouble visualizing this. Are U using the Reel Shaft as a guide or as a tool meaning the little round part that the pinion fits into?? Also if I understand correctly you are pushing the bearing deeper inside the spool to break the corrosion?? Please elaborate. I have nothing to loose here....If the reel is not restorable I got parts for the 10 bucks I paid...which is still a good deal considering.

Chris Gatorfan

Yes you got it. But do it to the Pinion side bearing first. once it is knocked loose clean the inside edge and wiggle it free. for the other bearing I just replayed it in my head, you will have to go through the spool to knock it free. Find a socket that will slip through the spool or either some type of dowel that will slide through but not slide through the axel hole on the bearing and tap it completely free. The reason being is that there is a lip on the non pinion side the holds that bearing in place.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Prefessa

Ken_D

Hello. If the above fails:  After you clean as much crud away from the top bearing as you can, (sounds like you have already done that part) try hitting (spraying) it with an upside down can of keyboard cleaner. It will be very cold, so watch out for bare skin. It may shrink the bb enough to get it out.

If that fails, try a 1/8 drill but in reverse up from the spool side of the spool, and catch some of the bb that way.
Tap the bit against the bearing, and it should pop out, being cold and all. 1/8 is smaller than 4 mm, so you will be able to angle it slightly.

Then send the axle in reverse down the spool, with the brass fat bit, to bunt out the spool-side bb, after you give it a cold shower.

Bryan Young

and here's another method...Through the whole assembly in the freezer (or outside, whichever is colder).  Then heat the spool around the bearing (not the bearing itself) with your torch lighter then spray WD40 to cool the spool.  Repeat a coupld of times then use one of the methods mentioned.  I would start with the pinion side first because under the pinion bearing, there's a spring washer under the bearing and it can take a little compression.  The clicker or non-pinion side, the bearing just sits in the bearing cup of the spool.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Prefessa

Guys:

Smashing the pinion side, then going in from the rear of the bearing side worked like a charm! Got both bearings out....then did the famous Alan Tani "Fish Hook" trick to remove the shield from one side and clean the bearings to like new condition. Just need a new brass compression washer for the pinion side.

You Guys are the Best!!! Thank You!!!  ;D

Bryan Young

good to hear good news on a Monday Morning.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Chris Gatorfan

I'm really glad I could help...And thanks for sharing.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.