Solid to Hollow Nail Knot / Nub tutorial

Started by maxpowers, February 19, 2014, 02:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

I am going to see if this will help some of the new people looking into working with braid.

first picture : braid cutter and nail knot tool
second picture:  some chopsticks for tightening braid
third picture: 30# test wire 6 feet folded in half
fourth pictures : white 80# seaguar theadhollow braid / orange 80 # sufix solid braid

maxpowers

continued:

first picture : 2 ft 30 lbs tufline solid braid for making nail knots
second picture: inserting wire about 3 ft from tag end of hollow braid going toward the tag end
third picture:  exit hollow braid at tag end
fourth picture: inserting solid braid thru wire loop and pull thru the hollow

maxpowers

continued

first picture : nail knot tool to make nail nub on solid braid
second picture: nail knot prior to tightening
third picture: nail knot tightened to translucence
fourth picture: second nail knot butted against first knot

Nub is now done on the solid

maxpowers

continued:

first picture: hollow braid slid over solid braid and nub
second picture: nail knot tied on top of hollow and solid braid and butted against the inside nub to as stopper.  This is on the tag end of the hollow braid
third picture : finished nail knot stopper
fourth picture: nail knot on tag end of hollow braid to tidy up.  At this point you can put a bit of super glue here and on the nail knots and nubs if you like.  I used no glue.

maxpowers

continued:

The tag end of the solid braid can be trim and the hollow braid smooth over it and that completes the solid braid to hollow braid insertion.  You can do the some thing to make a wind-on leader with hollow braid and mono/fluoro.  Additional tool optional is a hollow needle or a set of hollow needles if you are making different pound test leaders.  Hope this helps.

LTM

Thanx max for posting this, eventually this will all sink into my brain and make sense.

Leo

Brendan

After a quick look, very nice. I too will have to give it a few looks before I get it. I can appreciate it though. Thank you, Brendan.

Keta

It's really easy to do but hard to explain.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

BMITCH

Thanks Max, I'm putting this in my favorites so I can come back to it often. This looks good!
luck is the residue of design.