Okuma Customer Service on Makaira 10

Started by Vinny1, June 02, 2010, 12:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny1

I picked up a used Makaira 10 a few weeks ago, and after some inspiration from seeing Alan last Saturday at Fisherman's Warehouse, decided to service it myself.  Everything was going well, until I broke the plastic ratchet gear (part 401) by screwing it in too tight.  Reminder to self: Don't use the electric drill on plastic parts.   ::)

I spoke with Okuma parts, and Mike agreed to send out a new ratchet gear at no charge, aside from the UPS ground delivery fee.  Great service experience with Okuma!  Mike was on the ball, and I should be receiving the part on Thursday, in time for my 8 day leaving on Saturday.

On another note, the Makaira looks extremely well built inside.  I'm just not sure why they use a plastic ratchet gear, which broke quite easily.  The gear appears to be part of the clicker function, and also holds in the left-side bearing & bellevilles & such.  It doesn't look like it bears much pressure, but I'm sure a sturdier plastic or graphite construction might prevent these issues.  If you happen to have a Makaira, I suggest ordering a back-up ratchet gear just in case.