Why does this happen???

Started by Chris Gatorfan, February 20, 2014, 02:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Gatorfan

Ok here is my question with explanation first. I first noticed this in October on my 9/0 senator and then saw it today after I got done cleaning my 6/0 Senator. When the reel is under extreme pressure the handle turns but there is no turning of the spool. What causes this to happen. Is it a safety feature on these reels to keep you from destorying the gears prematurely. I just want to know because until last year I had no experience with Conventional reels as I was strickly a spinning reel guy.
I am wanting to make sure if this is normal or not so I can finish getting ready for the fishing season to get into full swing this year because I have several tournaments that I am in this year. And I dont need any surprises.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Keta

It sounds like the drag washers are doing their job.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

floating doc

Lee's correct.  One way to check how smooth the drag is in a conventional reel is to crank the handle against a non-moving spool.
Central Florida

Chris Gatorfan

That being the case I guess you can say i did a great job servicing them...Both of them are silky smooth. No catching at all. Thanks guys.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.