6500 CS Rocket toolkit?

Started by jay2578, February 20, 2014, 06:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay2578

Guys,
I service my own reels but I usually wing it with tools I have to hand.
Is there a toolkit available, in the UK, or could someone give me a list of individual tools I need?
Also, what are the best greases and oils? Bear in mind I'm not casting over grass, its purely for shore fishing.

Cheers
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

Ken_D

Good day. Tool crib is minimal. for 4-5-6 reels, a 10mm wrench or socket. Also a couple of small flat screwdrivers, with a blade width and width (of the slot) the same as the screws either side, and another with a blade width half that.

The small one to remove E-clips. And, a small philips screwdriver, where the cross fits snugly in the screws on both sides of the reel. If you want to remove the dimple on the idler gear, then a box cutter with the "click-click" part extended about 3 cm/1.5 inch so you can carve the ring off with relative ease.

As to lube and oil, depends where you are. What folks are proud of in one place, you might not be able to get it at anpother place. Generic lube and oil would be: grade 1 wheel bearing grease, and automatic transmission fluid. These are all over the world, and work rather well. ATF is usually red, so it's easy to tell where the oil is. The grease colour depends on the maker.

Best of all: they are nowhere near spendy. they are quite reasonable. If you do the salt, then use the grease folks use on their boat trailer wheel bearings. They always get totally submerged when launching.

jay2578

Thanks Ken.
I never even thought about ATF, good call!
Wheel bearing grease? Is that a lith/Molly type grease?

Cheers
Jay
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

Ken_D

Quote from: jay2578 on February 21, 2014, 07:08:04 AM
Thanks Ken.
I never even thought about ATF, good call!
Wheel bearing grease? Is that a lith/Molly type grease?

Cheers
Jay

Hio, Jay.. I never "spec'd" it out. I have been using it now for maybe 15 years, with no issues. I suppose you could google wheel brg grease for the formula. Any car repair garage will have this stuff in a 10 gallon or bigger drum. A car will need wheel brg grease in 2 out of the 4 wheels. You should be able to cabbage a few squirts in a small jar. the higher the number, the thicker the grease.

Grade 2 is about like peanut butter. Grade 6 pretty thick. The ATF you should be able to buy in pints at an auto parts store. As per mine above, everybody has their own pet combo of lube and oil, based on availability, and what works for them.  What works for me, may be discounted by another. Your mileage may vary.

jay2578

I have some lith/moly grease which is used for CV joints (it is a multipurpose motor grease) which is reasonably thick, may be worth trying?
ATF I also have, along with other motor lubes of varying viscosity. I used some chainsaw chain oil once to slow down my 7001i after it got a little frisky, that worked pretty well.
Like you say everyone will have their own favourites, and I guess I'll find mine, but your replies have given me some pointers I hadn't thought about so thanks.
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

Tile

For my reels I use Mobilgrease XHP 22 automotive bearings grease. For fishing reels any good quality grease will work.
In solid fiberglass we trust