Peen 113H Gear Sets

Started by Bryan Young, February 21, 2014, 06:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

So...I'm working on a 113H and want to upgrade the drag set. The left gear is steel.  Middle us stainless and the right is the brass gears. Only the brass are the only gear set that will fit my drag kit. How do I grind down the steel or stainless gear with clean results?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

The best answer is a mill machine, but a dremel with an end mill in a drill press mount would do just fine.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

maxpowers

harbor freight has a really nice set of mini carbide tungsten bits that you can fine tune the grind.

ps do you have an extra steel 113h gear you are willing to sell?

Keta

Is it the slot for the ear that is the problem?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on February 21, 2014, 07:34:57 PM
hi Lee

That is the problem.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Topshot

I know I had read on a post here that someone had the same problem and just milled the slot. I can't remember who it was
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 21, 2014, 08:09:00 PM
Quote from: Keta on February 21, 2014, 07:34:57 PM
hi Lee

That is the problem.

Bryan

Dremel makes a cutter the right size but I'd do them on a mill.  

I've done 2 things about this "problem".  The first and most used is to put a thicker CF and keyed on the bottom of the stack, some times it takes 2 thicker CF washers.  The second one involves making a tool to keep the washer flat and bend the ears up on the bottom eared washer.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I wonder if my brother has a milling bit...since the mill is here at my house.

Cone

Bryan. If you use a center cutting end mill you can use it like a drill bit in a drill press. I've even used them in a drill press. You could clamp the gear and deepen the cut for the ears just like using a drill bit. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

doradoben

I have a gear with a short slot and haven't used it yet because I couldn't decide how to best modify it. This thread will be helpful. The gear on the left seems to have a longer slot than the one in the middle. Can a regular HT100 5 stack fit in it? Also, will a magnet stick to middle gear in your photo?

Alto Mare

I wouldn't be too concerned about the slot going all the way down, unless you're using one of  Lee's insert.
The fourth washer in the stack is a eared washer and should sit in the slots with no problems.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 22, 2014, 09:57:07 AM
I wouldn't be too concerned about the slot going all the way down, unless you're using one of  Lee's insert.
The fourth washer in the stack is a eared washer and should sit in the slots with no problems.

The ears on the inserts can be filed off to fit.

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

The gears on the left were designed for the original 3-stack. I need to mil the groove deeper.

Alto Mare

Only if you're installing your kit, the 1+5 washers should work as is.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.