Dom/Tom 9/0 frame report- VINAKA !

Started by erikpowell, February 22, 2014, 12:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

Vinaka vaka levu (many big thanks) to Dom, Tom and Daron  ;) for making this happen:

Well I didn't waste any time putting the new frame on my first Senator 9/0. I just spooled it up with +/- 600yds 80lb ande envy,
heard there were some big tuna around and guys getting busted off.
Ditched work on Thursday afternoon with my buddies Russell & Wayne and set out from Pacific Harbour around 2pm.
Good thing we did, in 9 years here I've never seen a bite like this here...let alone only 30mins out!
Saw a couple birds, dropped the lines and within 5 minutes a BIG double hookup.
We had only gotten 2 of our four lines in the water.

So as the first testimonial to the DomTom frame, I'll let the pics do the talking:

Woohooooo!!!

Russells line went off first... Saragosa 20000, 80lb braid, Cape Cod jigging rod, Halco Laserpro 2m diver... His battle was to last over 2hrs..

Just seconds behind the first strike, a massive surface strike on my skirt and a huge tail made Wayne & I scream MARLIN!!
It didn't take long to realize it wasn't a marlin.

The 9/0 brought it in about an hour...I had scaled the drag to 26lbs on the way out... didn't even have a chance to double dog it yet OR add Bryans drag kit, OR Lee's handle, OR BP's gear...in other words; bone stock 9/0 with a SICK 1 piece frame!   :o

And the reward:

length 60 ½" , girth 42 ½" ... our dodgy scale weighed it 69kg at the dock

the winning combo... and my new favorite gear

68kg and a 63kg for Russ..... we felt so bad Wayne never had a chance to get a line in the water... But his top notch boat handling & gaff skills ensured we brought the fish in... couldn't have pulled it off without him  ;)

Thank you all, Neptune included, for another day in Paradise and an unforgettable day of fishing !!

and Dom, Tom and Daron.... Vinaka vaka levu.... your guest room awaits  ;D

Cheers all!

Irish Jigger

Well done Erik and crew ;D
Tom may get his CNC machine made ready for another batch of 9/0 frames ;)

Shark Hunter

Good stuff Erik! :o
The Pleasure was all mine brother! ;)
Life is Good!

Cortez_Conversions

So is this first blood?
Absolutly awesome!!!
Thanks for sharing the pics, THIS is why we do what we do!!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Cone

"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Chris Gatorfan

Look like Tuna Sandwhiches for a few days....Great Job, And I hope to have some shark picks with the new frame very soon.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

john2244

Very nice!!!   Thanks for posting.
John

erikpowell

Thanks everyone!
Tom, you're an artist!
i hope some of our hawaiian friends notice the lure... it was a gift from a friend on the Big island, she told me I had to rig it, but DON'T change the skirts... it was the first time I ever ran it, it wasn't even wet for 5 mins until....

Dominick

Bula Erik:  That is what I call fun.  I love the feeling a fish stronger than me on the end of my line.  Good for you.  Now I can't wait to get going on rebuilding my 9/0. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Bula Erik,

awesome. An epic evening run. Who made the lure head?  The top skirt is my favorite
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 22, 2014, 05:50:46 AM
Bula Erik,

awesome. An epic evening run. Who made the lure head?  The top skirt is my favorite

Bryan he is talking about a skirt on a fishing lure, not your Saturday evening fashion.  :D :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on February 22, 2014, 05:57:42 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on February 22, 2014, 05:50:46 AM
Bula Erik,

Bryan he is talking about a skirt on a fishing lure, not your Saturday evening fashion.  :D :D Dominick
Oh boy, and I thought Hawaiian shirts were bad ::)

Quote from: erikpowell on February 22, 2014, 12:09:53 AM
Well I didn't waste any time putting the new frame on my first Senator 9/0. I just spooled it up with +/- 600yds 80lb ande envy,
heard there were some big tuna around and guys getting busted off.
Ditched work on Thursday afternoon with my buddies Russell & Wayne and set out from Pacific Harbour around 2pm.
Good thing we did, in 9 years here I've never seen a bite like this here…let alone only 30mins out!
Saw a couple birds, dropped the lines and within 5 minutes a BIG double hookup.
We had only gotten 2 of our four lines in the water.
Woohooooo!!!
The 9/0 brought it in about an hour… I had scaled the drag to 26lbs on the way out… didn't even have a chance to double dog it yet OR add Bryans drag kit, OR Lee's handle, OR BP's gear…in other words; bone stock 9/0 with a SICK 1 piece frame!   :o
Tom's frame has officially been christened, way to go buddy ;)
I think I'll make this one my background for a while, I just love to see those older Penn in action. Thanks for sharing, Erik . Congrats to you and your friend...nice fish.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

conchydong

Way to go. That's a nice Ahi on a "old fashion" single speed reel! Even if it does have that awesome frame.