membership in the photo group

Started by alantani, February 22, 2014, 05:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

john says his photobucket account floweth over and it's going to start costing him, so what i've done is to set up a photo group for those of you that need a place to host photos that will be posted here.  he gets to do the trial run and will let us know if there are any problems.  for just a few photos, pleas continue to use photobucket or picasa, or any other host service.  if you are going to post tutorials and need a place to host your photos, let me know and i will add you to the photo group so that you can have your photos hosted on this site.  hopefully this will work out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Alan: I just ignore Photobucket.  I figure once they freeze the account I'll go to Picassa then Snapfish.  The photos are always on my hard drive or downloaded to disks.  Put me in the photo group so that I can get a clear avatar.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Why can't you just delete some of the photos?
Life is Good!

alantani

naw, this will be ok.  i have a couple of thousand photos hosted here and the entire website is only using 10% of the available storage. 

johndtuttle

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 22, 2014, 06:47:21 AM
Why can't you just delete some of the photos?

Partly it's my own fault for not resizing stuff smaller which I'll do in the future. The photos don't have to be so hi-rez for our purposes.

But when you have 6 or more tutorials that have thousands of hits per month the bandwidth is the problem, never storage of which I only use a few gigs for all of them. Very few relatively make it into a post.

The trouble is that I am approaching 20gb per month in total bandwidth and if I resize the photos I would then have to replace them in every tutorial on 4-5 sites etc. Alan has graciously offered a work around to host them and be an archive for future posts etc.

best

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Serrations

So Alan,
(or anyone in the know)
When I added my Avatar, and also the one other picture I've posted here so far, I uploaded from my PC onto this site.
Am I understanding this is never the recommended option? Do pictures uploaded right into the post affect the load time of the site, or does it become a storage issue over time?
With my wife's website it's not a concern since we are the only ones posting anything. Here, it is obviously much different with so much data involved. I'm curious as to what the issue is, that is solved by hosting pictures elsewhere.
Any help on "why" will be appreciated.

FYI: Most cameras can be set "middle of the road" I find 6MP is plenty of resolution for online photos. 12MP and above create huge slow loading files, more suited for printing rather than posting.
Thanks,
Mike

alantani

an avatar photo is never an issue.  i am not sure what the memory requirements would be if everyone started loading thousands of photos, but i don't think it would be good. for photos on this site, i do not mind opening up the gallery. i think it is only fair. 

Serrations

The more I browse the site, the more I realize how many photos are involved.
(plus the how to for photos I missed)
The extra uploading steps make sense.
Thanks for the info.

gstours

typical history and more of my sad story,  as soon as I get it figgered out things change, I like photobucket, it works great for me, but I,m nat a computer savy dude either, the lord giveth and then he tacketh back all the good cards.     Do whEVER MAKES THIS A BETTER SITE.......iT ROCKS.........gstours.