Can you guess what this is?

Started by basto, May 15, 2016, 11:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi Ron
Yes, very happy with the stand and the gear ratio. I will take it to the reef for a week in October.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

handi2

I noticed that when I restored 3 of them as give away reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

basto

Always wondered how much stronger the side plate plastic on say a Jigmaster is than the side plate plastic on this reel.
Anyone have any knowledge on that?

RowdyW

The Jigmaster is stronger because it has inner rings & a stronger stand. The seaboy is a cheap reel usually for the kids.

basto

Quote from: RowdyW on May 17, 2016, 02:11:38 AM
The Jigmaster is stronger because it has inner rings & a stronger stand. The seaboy is a cheap reel usually for the kids.

Thanks for your reply Rowdy, but I really was referring to the strengths of the sideplate materials.

The jig master has to have inner rings or the side plate would not have anything to key those tiny little nipples into.

RowdyW

Penn could have just as easily screwed the plates to the rings & posts. Not a big deal in the manufacturing process. Those "tiny little nipples" are there for a quick change of spools with no tools neccessary. A Jigmaster can withstand a higher drag power then any seaboy even though they use the same drag washers. I still say it's a nice kids reel

cbar45

Quote from: basto on May 16, 2016, 11:28:14 PM
Always wondered how much stronger the side plate plastic on say a Jigmaster is than the side plate plastic on this reel.
Anyone have any knowledge on that?

Well, I've noticed that the reels with side-plate screws placed very close to the edge of the plate are more prone to having the plate crack if over-tightened. The fiberglass plates used for a time on Mag-Power reels are one example that comes to mind.

So too are the bakelite plates used on early 85 Seaboys, 285 Delmars, 209's, etc. I have not seen any of the newer graphite 185/190 Seaboy plates crack at the screw junction; the material used is quite tough when compared to bakelite. It's the aforementioned fiberglass plates which seem to be the worse of the bunch imho, but I do not know if that material was ever used on Seaboys or Jigmasters.

Jigmasters of course have bakelite plates, yet their tail plate screws are located further in from the edge of the plate than those on the Seaboys. Late-model 190 plates however, have more reinforcement than the older 85's, and are almost 9mm thick at the edges where the screws are located.

basto

mo65

Quote from: cbar45 on May 17, 2016, 05:51:12 AM
Late-model 190 plates however, have more reinforcement than the older 85's, and are almost 9mm thick at the edges where the screws are located.

If these plates are graphite...I have a hard time believing old bakelite Jiggy plates would be stronger...even with those bling rings you can bend with your fingers. Add to that the #30-66 stand and that #5-185 gear using #6-309 drags...this reel has potential! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~