Orange Beach, AL 02/22/14

Started by ChileRelleno, February 23, 2014, 03:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

My youngest son an I started our day on the Gulf State Pier, and the day was freaking beautiful.
Blue skies, warm sun and cool breeze, clear water and good acquaintances, but the fishing sucked.

We were there from about 8am-1pm, bottom fishing for Reds an misc, and specifically targeting Sheepsheads.
The cooler than average water temps have induced a chronic cases of piscis lockjaw, nothing, not live shrimp or Fiddler crabs was tempting the Sheep's tummies, an nothing else was biting for us either.
We personally saw one Sheep caught on Ghost shrimp, an one Cownose ray on squid.
Know that a few other Sheeps, several Whiting and one or two Flounder were in coolers.

We split at 1pm and headed over to Perdido Pass to fish the seawall on the west side.
Managed to grab one of the best spots there and started fishing
Ran into a guy with a bucket full of huge, live Ghost shrimp and let him shoulder in with us, for which he shared his bait.
We started slowly but consistently nailing the Sheeps.
No one else there was catching, some dirty & jealous looks came our way :mrgreen:
Fish were holding on the wall an in the shadows, that only we could cast into due to limited access.

Thankfully that save our day from being fishless, we brought home five decent Sheepies.

Boats fishing in the middle of the Pass were catching some nice Reds and a lot of Sheeps from around the bridge's columns.
Wish we could have shared some of the Redfish action, but bottom fished baits would either not hold in the strong tidal flow or would get hung up in the rocky bottom.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

DaBigOno

Good on you to share the fishing spot, glad to hear it paid off for you.

Any day fishing is a good day, especially when I'm fishing with my dad.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Newell Nut

Looks like a couple of nice meals. Sheepshead are good eating fish.