750SS METAL WASHER STUCK IN SPOOL

Started by LTM, February 24, 2014, 04:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Hi all,

Purchased a back up spool for my 750ss and was checking the drag stack and noticed that the bottom hex metal washer wont come out. I placed a doubled up blue shop towel on my handy wood block, inverted the spool (washers side down) and gave a few sharp wraps on the block and nothing. Any suggestions?

Thanx,

Leo

MFB

You could try pressing or punching the nylon spool bush out I used a deep reach hex socket with a slightly smaller diameter than the bush.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

LTM

Im concerned about maring/scratching the reel, for I may return it. Any other methods to remove the washer?

Leo

Alto Mare

Place the spool on a towel face up, get a punch and  gently hit the corners of the washer as close as you can get to the edge, one might do it and the washer should come loose. You might also need  dental picks to help pull it out. If all fails try what Mark mentioned, the bushing is plastic and shouldn't scratch anything on the way out.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Leo, I forgot to mention, if you're going with the drag upgrades leave that washer alone, it will help as is.
Just in case you're not, put that spool in the box with everything else and I'll trade you with one of mine, I have a couple.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

LTM

Thanx gentlemen,

Got it with the Sal technique, light tap only! Yes Sal, going ahead with the drag upgrade. Currently chasing down a 450.

Leo