Helping your Penn factory Frames

Started by gstours, February 24, 2014, 06:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Hello all; it seems like a good way to improve the rigidity and strength of the penn frames is to replace them with a full machined frame... while that works great it is also prohibitive to many fisherman,  a hundred dollars or more to swap out your parts, then throw away your old stuff,   or maybe try yo sell to your buddys to help them.

attatched is a couple of pictures of an idea that may be for some folks, and certainly not for others,
   Simply use the factory spacer strut in place of the brass bar. at the top. Drill and countersink 2 more holes. replace with 3/4 inch sst screws and your set........its 1 inch wide against 1/4inch wide as the bar was, and you have 2 more (doubled  the) screws holding the flex togather at almost no cost......these penn spacers are advertised cheep.......use the for your advantage....or not??????????????????????

Ron Jones

Looks a lot like a 349 with Newell bars. I like it! Should let the graphite frames use a few more pounds of drag.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

DaBigOno

very ingenious gstours!  
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Bryan Young

I've thought about that before and you just reminded me. Glad you followed through as the thought escaped me years ago.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LTM

Ron Jones

I wonder if the line hits the bar while casting? Just a thought.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

day0ne

Those bars work well on the Long Beach 67 and the 113HLW bars on the LB 68
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter