Leaf springs

Started by Mandelstam, February 24, 2014, 06:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

I've noticed a lot of people making their new dog springs leaf spring style. My question is what do u make them of?

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

maxpowers

Bryan Young

I usually buy them from MysticParts.com.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

Mandelstam

Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 24, 2014, 07:09:05 PM
I use these if I run out of the real thing.
Looking at your Avatar,you don't have any ;)

http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving/grooming-accessories/merkur-safety-razor-blades-srb.php?gclid=CLmLncS65bwCFSn4wgod0AkABg

I may use one or two every decade. The length of my hair over time can be described as a longitudinal wave pattern with a periodicity of 10-15 years. It's actually reached it's shortest length a few weeks ago. :)

And thanks for the input on the springs. I'll see if I can find some brass sheet.

/K
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

surfcaster

Made a 349h spring out of a  stainless spring steel from an  ice fishing flag, Bic lighter springs also make good cut to length coil dog springs .

SacFly

Quote from: surfcaster on February 24, 2014, 07:49:47 PM
Made a 349h spring out of a  stainless spring steel from an  ice fishing flag, Bic lighter springs also make good cut to length coil dog springs .

Brilliant!  how do they last?

surfcaster

the 349 has lasted since 2009, but is a little stronger than stock.(kinda loud too) To form I had to bend around a nail  pounded halfway in on my workbench.  the bic springs look identical to penns except for length they last the same amount of time. I cut those with a micro plier set. sometimes need a hook file on the cut edges.

surfcaster

sorry posted before pics  top is a bic spring next to stock 113h bottom is spring steel for 349 or 114 style spring     
[][/img] [][/img]

Irish Jigger

He is talking leaf springs!

Mandelstam

surfcaster

2nd pic IS what I make leaf springs out of.

Alto Mare

And what is that from Richie.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Quote from: surfcaster on February 24, 2014, 08:36:54 PM
sorry posted before pics  top is a bic spring next to stock 113h bottom is spring steel for 349 or 114 style spring     
[][/img] [][/img]

This is freakin brilliant! Yeah I know...it doesn't take much to impress me. Great idea though ;D
luck is the residue of design.

Cone

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 25, 2014, 12:33:17 AM
And what is that from Richie.
It reminds me of the ss inserts in a windshield wiper blade. Maybe Richie will let us know. I think the small inserts may work but they may be a little thick.
bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD