Getting Ready for the Sportsman Club Swap Meet in Fresno, CA

Started by foakes, February 24, 2014, 10:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Getting ready for the annual Fresno County Sportsmans Club Swap Meet coming up March 8.

Taking 42 DAM Quicks, 40 Garcia Mitchells, 35 Penn Conventionals, 10 Penn Spinners, and an assortment of about 30 other reels (Daiwa, ABU, Cardinal, Shimano, etc.).

I thought I would get the Penns ready this last weekend -- still have about 10 to go.  Went through each one that I pulled out of my old boxes of reels that have never been addressed.  Disassembled, inspected, cleaned with Mineral oil, simple green, purple degreaser, vinegar, & ultrasonically.  Replaced any busted side-plates, corroded posts, rings, stands, levers, spools, bearings, springs and interior parts.  Replaced all drag stacks with SS & HT-100 CFs -- lubed with either Cal's or Shimano star drag grease -- used Yamaha MG -- and synthetic oil -- tuned and adjusted for proper operation of all functions.  Replaced some of the drag spacers for better range of drag control -- and a ton of screws.  

Ended up doing 25 Penns over the weekend -- of which 12 were levelwinds (9s, 109s, 209s, 309s, etc.).  Most of the levelwinds required new pawls, worm gears, line guides, and nylon worm idler gears.

Still have 10 Penns to go -- then I will start on the Quicks & Garcia Mitchells, old Penn spinners, Cardinals, etc. (the spinners will be a lot easier since they just need to have the old grease cleaned out, relubed & oiled, maybe new drags, etc. -- then good to go).  

Nearly all of the Penns were reels that were just old reels that have been taken in trade, or acquired over the years with the intention of fixing them up someday or just using them for parts.  Just tossed in boxes.  Now these old soldiers are completely restored and ready for a new life.

Fred

http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/100_2150_zps17a9b55e.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/100_2151_zpsad65523a.jhttp://pg.html?sort=3&o=4

http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/100_2152_zpsb9bdcaa7.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/100_2153_zpscfd2eaa1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/100_2154_zps3d7bc3cb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/100_2157_zps21cf6146.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

foakes

http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/100_2173_zpsb2593418.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/100_2172_zpsf32737e1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/100_2171_zpsc2c3b4c0.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/100_2170_zpsbff9a96a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

Still getting ready for the show -- found enough skeletons to make an additional 4 jigmasters, 5 209s, 4 smaller Senators, and an assortment of 150, 155, 160, 165, 180, 200, 250 -- along with a few others.  HT-100, Yamaha MG, SS drag washers, oil, new parts as necessary, etc.

Going through the Mitchell, Quick, and Penn spinners -- Quicks and Penns done -- just the Mitchells to go.

Alan, I did a cut & paste for an experiment on this email -- but not sure if I am doing it right -- doesn't seem to come across as a pic in the message body -- just a link -- I must be doing something wrong.  Using Photo bucket.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

just left  click on the img code and it will automatically copy it for you, then right click where you want the photo go and paste it there.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

By chance, do you have any 3-99 bridges?

Alan, I forgot to check with you as well.  do you have an 3-99 bridges?  

I will need one, maybe 2.  
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Hi Bryan --

Don't think I have any loose ones...

If I locate one or two -- I'll let you know.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Hey Bryan --

No 99 bridge assemblies yet -- found some 66s...

Do you think they would work if you turned them upside down?

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Bryan Young

Who knows...Sal may know...

I want to have at least one replacement bridge for my or my son's narrow Penn 259 (1/0 wanna be).

Thanks Fred
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Here are a few pics from the Sportsmans Swap Meet in Fresno over the weekend --

I had attended 3 of these previously over the last 17 years -- but had not been able to attend for the last 6 years due to other time obligations.

The show started out as just a way for folks with excess outdoor gear they wanted to get rid of -- to be able to have a fun place to sell, trade, or buy more.  Fairly informal -- nice atmosphere -- no alcohol, family oriented, breakfast and BBQ on premises.

Always in the first week of March -- Rain or Shine.

This year I was inside the main clubhouse (the largest free standing log building in California) because I was concerned about rain.  But in years past, I have been outside on the grass adjacent to the San Joaquin River.

Beautiful weather -- hours are from 8 - 1 for the public, $5.00 entry fee, kids free, set up for sellers starts at 6:00 AM.  Tables are provided, and the entry fee is only $10.00 per table (I got two tables for a total of $20.00).

Did OK on selling and was very grateful for the turnout and the hospitality of the Sportsman Club.  Handed out a lot of cards.

This year was so large that there were about 35 vendors inside & around 80 vendors outside.

After a show, there are always things that stand out as "worth it".

For me, the two best things that stood out were a lady (around 60) who wanted to learn how to fly fish -- she had brought an old automatic fly reel and wanted to match up an inexpensive rod for practicing.  After asking her about her experience (none) -- I advised her to get a regular inexpensive manual fly reel to pair with a 8' - 9' rod -- and learn how to fly fish by doing the basics of the techniques before trying out an automatic fly reel.  I advised her of a free class in the area.  She ended up buying a Gunnison Reel from me for $100, along with a brand new older fiberglass 9' rod for $20.  A little later her husband came over to thank me, because he had tried to advise her to go this route -- but she didn't believe him.  She needed to hear it from someone else.  She also said that she really wanted to have one good setup to last her for the rest of her life.

Then there was the little girl with her Mom & Dad who was fascinated by the Polartec reel bags.  I showed her one with a bear on it -- it kind of scared her, so she picked another one with pretty colors to keep her precious things in.  I just gave it to her.

Pics weren't great since I couldn't spend much time away from the table -- but here are a few --

Thanks to all who have helped me to learn how to post these -- hope they turn out OK on the message.

Fishing gear was only maybe 20% of the offerings represented -- there were lots of firearms stuff, outdoor equipment, back packing, kayaking, boating, camping, knifes.  One guy came with an enclosed trailer full of about 200 MEC shotgun reloaders -- he specializes in selling used ones, rebuilding them and supplying parts.  Seemed to be something for everyone.

--------

Fred O.

Shark Hunter

That looks like my kind of party Fred! Guns, knives and reels. Three of my favorite things! ;) Thanks for Sharing the pics.
Life is Good!

alantani

remind me next year.  i could come down to sanger for dad's birthday and drag him out to this.  it would be fun!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cone

Was the banana on the table for luck? It looks like a good show.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Bryan Young

Looks like fun. I wish I didn't have plans. I would have been there.

foakes

Alan, I'll make a note to give you a heads up on the show next year -- about 45 days out.

The banana was my breakfast along with a protein bar, and a Starbuck's -- my wife helped me to set up at the show before she went shopping in town, and she would rather I eat something healthy, instead of the junk at the show.

It was fun -- not a big deal like Fred Hall and some of the others -- just a neat little show that doesn't take too much prep or money to attend.  Hour from our house.

The nice thing is that I now have about 140 reels that are completely serviced and drag upgraded, ready to go and ready to sell.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.