Avet EXW 30/2 Pinion Bearing

Started by erikpowell, February 25, 2014, 11:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

Hey guys,
with all the big tuna around last few weeks, some guys' gear are taking a beating.

Just got a call about a pair of pretty new (6mos)  Avet EXW 30/2's that the drag adjust knob is backing itself off while trolling.

Last time I saw this problem it was a Tiagra 50.... the pinion bearing was seized and the cam assembly was heavily salted in...

I'm assuming I'll find the same problem when I pick up these avets later today... the drags are set at 8kg, fishing 50lb mono that's been verified..

Can anyone confirm the pinion bearing size for these and save me a bunch of time?

Thanks.

Wayne Feagley

Hi Erik,
I don't have the info you seek, but can add that I just got back from a long range trip and my brand new out of the box EXW 30/2 failed on me; the gear bearing (key 38) failed.  It started with a soft wierd feeling while reeling in a soaked sardine and quickly escalated to the drag set knob backing off as I was reeling in.  I was desperate, being 800 miles away from land, so I took the bearing apart thinking there may have been some grit causing the bearing not to spin.  I was very dissapointed to see the ball bearings look like crap.  They were not solid ball bearings, they look like cheap stamped crap.

My advice would be to find aftermarket bearings as the Avet stock bearing I looked at is JOKE.  This will be my first and last Avet purchase.  If I find a replacement I'll let you know.
Wayne
And He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19

erikpowell

Thanks for the reply Wayne, unfortunately that fella never turned up with his Avets so I haven't been able to diagnose the issue.

Did you happen to measure your bearing for size while you had it out?
Dawn at Smoothdrag will possibly have an abec 5 bearing to replace yours with.
Otherwise try Boca bearings.

I still haven't verified that bearing size.

Wayne Feagley

Hi Erik,
I just measured the bearing.  I also confirmed the right and left side plate bearings on this reel are the same dimensions.

ID=       .375"
OD=      .875"
Depth=  .281"

I'm also going to give Dawn these dimensions.  I'll reply to this thread if I find replacements.

Update:  Dawn at Smoothdrag has this bearing (.375 x .875 x .281) in ABEC 5 Stainless for $15 ea.  I'll be buying a set from her.  I also bought a set of stainless/ceramic from RC Bearings.  I want to see if there is any difference in the "binding effect" between the two types of bearings.  (http://www.rcbearings.com/products/sr6zzc-3-8-x-7-8-x-281-stainless-steel-ceramic-bearing.html)

Having two sets will provide spares on my next long range trip.  I won't take another long range trip without spare bearings for my bigger reels. 
And He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19

erikpowell

Cool Wayne, glad you got it sorted out.
Let us know how that works for you next trip!
Vinaka