What Lubricants for hybrid bearings?

Started by thedw, February 26, 2014, 12:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedw

Hi guys!

going for distance here!

would lubs would be best for hybrid bearings?

Namely : 1. Sic Bearings
             2. Ceramic

thks!

HalBrown

I am sure there are others, but I use Oust Met Oil in my ceramics.

alantani

been real happy with tsi 301 and tsi 321. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Pro Reel

I would love to here of others experiences, but my experience with TSI301 on the ceramic hybrids was not great. I love TSI for stainless bearings. When I used TSI 301 on ceramic hybrids, they didn't seem to spin as free as I expected them to. I wonder if the TSI lube isn't bonding right with the sic material or if it's just my imagination. What I normally do with hybrid ceramics is coat the outside with rocket fuel yellow and then add a tiny drop of rocket fuel tournament to the inside. The tournament is thin as water and lets the ceramic hybrid spin super easy while still giving the steel parts of the bearing a little corrosion resistance.

Remember, hybrid ceramics don't need any lubrication to protect from galling, therefore you can run them dry for maximum spin. However, the steel parts of the cage and rings will still corrode so if you run them dry, they will corrode if they get wet. I need to experiment with some comparisons using TSI and oil on them and maybe do some actual casting to see if there is any difference, it was spin tests on a pencil where the TSI on the ceramics seemed to slow them down more than a small drop of oil did.

Bryan Young

If fishing with ceramics/SS in fresh water, I don't lube.  But if fishing in salt water, I advise to just get SS because you need to protect the SS cage and races, so it needs to be treated with some type of anti-corrosion lubricant, which will slow down the ceramic hybrid bearings.

That's my take.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tawakoni Terror

Today I sent Byran samples of our Eco Seal/Lube product to review. I believe this this another area our nanotechnology can solve some challenges but before I try to make the case it would be helpful if I could review the MSDS for Rocket Fuel. Can anyone help me?

Nuvole

Quote from: thedw on February 26, 2014, 12:35:46 PM
Hi guys!

going for distance here!

would lubs would be best for hybrid bearings?

Namely : 1. Sic Bearings
             2. Ceramic

thks!

Graphite spray. I tried once then revert back to rocket fuel, as I lose control.

thedw

hi Nuvole!

graphite spray ehh..

where can i find it?

dont really like runnning dry lubes as bearings get damn noisy... hate it.

gonna be using mainly in the fresh but reel is gonna see some salt usage as well

TSI works wonders on SS bearings perhaps ill try some on the hybrid bearings i got

thedw

Nuvole

Quote from: thedw on March 02, 2014, 05:57:55 AM
hi Nuvole!

graphite spray ehh..

where can i find it?

dont really like runnning dry lubes as bearings get damn noisy... hate it.

gonna be using mainly in the fresh but reel is gonna see some salt usage as well

TSI works wonders on SS bearings perhaps ill try some on the hybrid bearings i got

I recall purchasing them from RS Electronic.  They are very fine powder that offer no resistance to corrosion.  Speed vs protection, its a choice to make.

bluefish69

You should be able to get Graphite Spray at Auto Supply stores. It is used in door locks on your car
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.