450SS AR/DOG MOD?

Started by LTM, February 28, 2014, 08:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cone

Your right Lee. I think the dogs under the rotor started with The 3rd gen reels. Penn has been around so long and made so many changes its hard to remember. Then you throw in senior moments. I'm lucky I still can make it back home. :-[
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

It was easy to strip down and clean. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

I just went and looked at the schematics. I was wondering because I have a 650ss. It has the dogs under the rotor. The only 2nd gen reels with dogs inside under the main gear are the 420ss and 430ss. Duh. You can tell by the body. They have the look of the z series reel with the bushing on the handle side. I don't have a 430ss but a look at the body would have jogged my memory. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Keta

I'm planning on getting a spinning rod this yeas and trying the 4300SS on kokanee, and possibly steelhead.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

Shark Hunter

I know this is an 8 month old thread, but I acquired a 450 ss in great shape for less than fifty bucks. The Anti Reverse dog wasn't working. I tore it all apart. It had some nasty blackened grease in there.

Cleaned everything up with brake cleaner and a tooth brush.

Put the dog and all parts back under the rotor. Its working now.
Went ahead and finished putting in back together and now its not working again. >:(
I will fashion a spring so I don't have to deal with this anymore. Stay tuned.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

After fiddling with trying to make a home made sprung dog. I realized there is no room in there and somebody already invented this wheel. I squeezed the tabs back together on the dog and it works fine now. ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Don't give up just yet buddy, there is an easy way and that baby sounds better than the bigger brothers .
I will post some pics when I get home. Not showing you up or anything like that, just helping out because that's what we do here. ;)
Later buddy...you will like it!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Ok Daron, here you go.
I didn't take a shot of the grove before insatlling the spring and can't remove it because I placed a drop of loctite on top of it, this is how I did it

Freehand is not a problem cutting a slot on that post, just take your time
bend a flat spring as shown

and set it in place

showing it disengaged

and engaged

by the way, this is what I use on spinners, 50/50, much smoother that Penn blue, but only on spinners.

I don't really pack them too much

this reel sound very nice and it really need it

enjoy it!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

bluefish69

Thanks I will keep this in mind. I tried soaking my reel in Greased Lightning Degreaser no luck grease was still there. Now I was mad. The reel is in WD 40 bath. It's in over it's head now & grease is melting off.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.